grading around foundation question

our home is 60+ years old. We have cracks in the basement foundation we need to fix and also need to grade around the foundation so it slopes away from the house. Admittedly, I know nothing about this, but I understand the basic concept of keeping water away from the foundation. My question is this: while we are in the process of grading around the house, which is building up the soil so that it slopes away from the house, what if we put a water proof plastic barrier down? Dirt, barrier, and more dirt all sloped away from the house? Just an extra "water can't come near the foundation" type of precauction. Is this done at all? Dumb idea? thoughts please.

Reply to
DOlivo

Where are you - on the planet ? What are your soil conditions ? What are your drainage options ? Why would you think that your drainage questions could be answered in this forum with almost zero useful information ? 1. speak to your neighbours about their drainage 2. consult the most reputable local contractor 3. don't put any value on internet advice 4. including this advice John T.

Reply to
hubops

Yes and it works fantastic!

I put 8' wide EPDM roofing membrane down around my basement perimeter and covered it with 2" pea gravel. In fact, I was able to remove my failing eve troughs and my basement still stays dry.

Reply to
Jack

Sump pump rules.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I've never seen it done before. Missing is whether you have any problems with water getting into the basement now. If you have it graded properly and have the water from gutters routed properly, I don't see the need. How deep is this going? Unless the grading is totally screwy, I'd think you're going to be adding maybe 6" or so of soil near the house, so you're going to put a membrane at 6" down near the house, tapering off to much less 10 ft out? What about foundation plantings? Grass?

Reply to
trader_4

you can move water away from the foundation, but if the soil is permeable then the water can flow back underneath towards the house if there is a sink for it.

the house here is mulched with black plastic and crushed rinsed limestone and sloped mostly away from the foundation. it makes no difference if the rains are heavy enough as the fill underneath is sand and the sump pump provides a sink for water flowing back towards the foundation.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

replying to trader_4, DOlivo wrote: yes, we get water in the basement now if there is enough rain or snow melting. We need to grade it properly, at present it is not properly graded. there is a flower bed agaisn't the house now and a large bush that will be torn out. I don't know if it's best to just mulch with something or plant grass up to the house. I"m so tired of water getting into the basement I really don't want water near the foundation at all.

Reply to
DOlivo

I would also go outside during a heavy rain and make sure that the water is going where you think it's going when you're done. For example, I've had a situation where I had one of those corrugated

4" black pipes over one of the gutter leaders, it looked fine. But in a heavy rain, it turns out that water backed up and poured out of the top of it, right at the foundation.
Reply to
trader_4

replying to trader_4, DOlivo wrote: good advice, thank you

Reply to
DOlivo