Foundation Question

When measuring a foundation and a plan for a foundation, most measurements for the foundation are taken from: A. The outside corners B. The inside corners.

Just curious with the result of this question I have. And reasons for the answer either way. Thank You, jloomis

Reply to
jloomis

I would say from the outside corners. Then it makes no difference what your wall thickness is. If you measure from the inside corners, then you naturally have to add the wall thickness.

let's say you have a 20'x20' foundation with a 12" wall. you want lumber to lay across those walls. the lumber yard sees your plans and see you've measured on the inside dimensions and cuts accordingly. guess what? The boards are 2 feet short. Because they cut according to your measurements, not your desires. they can't read minds.

Reply to
richard

As Richard said, I measure from the outside corners. That's how my county measures buildings to figure out the square footage for taxes. It's also how I measure for floor joists, subflooring, etc.

For example, our house is a 40'x40' square. The front porch is 6'x24'. The county does not include porches as part of the square footage, so our house is considered to be 1456 square feet.

The only time inside corner measurements come into play is for finish materials like flooring.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

I agree, the owner of this house that I am building has the architect making measurements from the inside corners... I was puzzled since I have always gone from the outside...... I have done this so many times, and then to find a project that decides to do it different..... just to confuse me? john

As Richard said, I measure from the outside corners. That's how my county measures buildings to figure out the square footage for taxes. It's also how I measure for floor joists, subflooring, etc.

For example, our house is a 40'x40' square. The front porch is 6'x24'. The county does not include porches as part of the square footage, so our house is considered to be 1456 square feet.

The only time inside corner measurements come into play is for finish materials like flooring.

Anthony

Reply to
jloomis

Reply to
Tom Cular

Perhaps the home owner is constantly over everyone's shoulders and making sure it's all done HIS way or no way. I think I'd ask the architect just how many home's he's built and if he always uses inside measurements.

Reply to
richard

John,

The only reason I can think of is if the owner has specific requirements for the size of the interior spaces. For example, if they have a row of bookcases that is 12' wide, you may end up with with too little space by measuring from the outside.

Of course, if I had that requirement, I would just increase the exterior dimensions to 13' or 14' to allow for the 12' interior space. Or, just build new bookcases. :)

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

So far the only reason given was due to plate installation. Well, I have always had to look on the plans as to plate installation and then set the bolts and hardware in accordance. This is all taken into reference with the outside measures......anyway....... And the outside concrete form is the first installed anyway. Thus outside measures are the best way to go. Inside forms always tend to grow or diminish slightly due to material buildup and the outside always is the one that one attempts to get "right on"

I thought maybe I was missing something or needed a "kick in the ass" but all your replies confirm my thoughts. Thank You. John

(there is no reason for inside measurement for interior either......just for your noted comment)