Subject Author Posted Replies

no-maintenance batteries
I just bought a new battery for my JD lawn mower. It is one of those no-maintenance batteries that don't have any fill holes to add water. That got me to thinking: How do these batteries differ...
11
11

FHA main trunk replacement: Follow-up
Took your advice from your responses to yesterdays question. 22"x8" is a standard rectangular size I could get at a supplier or on-line. I've currently got 6 flex-ducts going to the room...
3
3

tree maintenance terminology.
What is a term for a specific kind of tree maintenance, cutting down the tree [when it is dangerous]? I'd like to use standard terminology. I seem to think I want to say "tree trimming and tree...
6
6

Protecting bathroom fan from attic cellulose insulation
An exhaust fan has been added to the upper floor bathroom. The attic's insulation (cold climate!) is blown cellulose particles. Is it customary to cover the fan's top housing with some kind of...
13
13

How to use penetrating oil?
I have a 1940s era Hamilton Beach malt mixer and would like to replace the power cord. In order to do so I need to remove the metal base cover. The base cover is held in place by screws that are...
25
25

Help me get my oils straight
Hi, Could someone provide a brief outline (or point out a resource on the web) of the different types of oils and their uses. I'm confused by the differences (and interchangeability) of different...
8
8

Need advice on a sandbox
Hi, Here's my work in progress: I have PT 4x4 in the ground (the kind that's safe to have, and it's been out in the rain for the past two months). They are kind of "single finger joined"...
5
5

Clever Designs for the DIYer....
These aren't specific for home repair projects, but might look good for the creative and capable DIYers who have everything at home all fixed :o) Whether you call a professional for home repairs...

When you're ready to sell your home...
... you'll need some pictures. Check out this creative rendition of an idyllic cottage.
3
3

Garage Floor Coating
I am thinking of having my garage floor coated by either a Rustoleum product (installed by Home Depot) or by Premier Garage - I can not figure out if the material is any different. Both companies...
5
5

Radon mitigation follow-up
Thanks to everyone for their input on my post from 9/29. Thought you might like to know how the company visits went. 3 quotes 2 companies came to my house. 1 gave me a price over the phone. They...

Forced hot air main trunk replacement
Had a reputable sheet metal company come to my house to give me an estimate for replacing the main FHA trunk to a smaller height to gain some headroom in my basement. The trunk is about 40 feet long...
8
8

Fixed price propane for 2009-2010 heating season - good idea?
Hi all, My gas company just sent me a letter offering to sign up for a fixed price (@ $1.949/gallon) of propane until April 30, 2010. I don't remember them sending any such letter last year which...
10
10

Gas leak emergency instructions
"Call the gas supplier from a neighbor's phone". Isn't that totally dated? Now days we go outside, get upwind of the building, and call from a cell phone. I mean, like, retro, dude!
34
34

Copper prices
Anyone know what 200' of #6 copper is going for these days? Steve
2
2