Undersink water filter *without* faucet

I just moved into an older house with lead in the water. However, the kitchen sink was replaced recently and is uncontaminated. It's got very nice faucet fittings. I don't want to add a new faucet or replace a faucet, but every single undersink water filter I can find on the web comes with an attached (usually shoddy) faucet.

Is it possible to buy an undersink water filter and attach it to the existing cold water line and existing faucet?

Reply to
Chris Shaffer

Hi, Then water flow will be very sluggish. Usually multi stage filter has pressure tank and separate tap. You can upgrade the filter faucet with all metal heavy duty one. When I installed my 6 stage/UV light filter, that's what I did.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Cartriges have limited life in gallons, if I hooked mine up to the faucet it might last a month as with all the dishes being done, as it is it lasts years for just drinking water, it has a seperate small tap. I use Everpure and the cartrige is about 100$ if I remember right. My largest percentage of water use is by far my kitchen sink, you would be suprised at your gallons used if you wash dishes in the sink and cook alot. A big filter would work but how effective it would be to remove Lead without reducing flow and how many galllons it would last for needs research. I opted to just filter for drinking water after reading up.

Reply to
ransley

I have an undersink filter that doesn't have a faucet. In fact that is the normal kind that I see. Well, I seem to recall some that have a little spigot that goes up through the hole put in for the soap pump, but I never thought of getting one. You should be able to find a plain one that goes in the line to the cold water faucet at most any place that sells hardware. The big box home stores all have them, and I figure most hardware stores do. They usually cost in the neighborhood of $40 for the inexpensive ones.

They are a little over a foot high and about 6 inches in diameter. All you have to do is find a place to mount it. You can probably install it yourself. Then you need to replace the filter every 6 months or a year, depending on how much water you use.

Bill

Reply to
BillGill

Doulton has a commercial undersink commercial filter that is capable of

1.4 gallons/minute and has a life of 2000 gallons. They are pricey especially the replacement cartridge which costs about $100. Richard
Reply to
rgoldste

You need a whole house system for that. Usually you only need the filtered water for consumption not for rinsing dishes, washing floors and all the other things. If it's a reverse osmosis system it only makes a gallon every 4 to 6 hours. I just use mine for coffee, ice cubes and the drinking water jug in the fridge.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

I'm not sure I understand about using the filter up quick because of washing dishes. I don't use much cold water for dish washing. I figure the hotter the better when washing dishes. So that doesn't use up the filter, which is on the cold water.

Bill

Reply to
BillGill

I'm not sure why you would need a whole house filter. You don't really need to filter the water to the bathroom. The main water that needs to be filtered is for drinking and cooking. That is a much smaller need than a whole house filter.

Bill

Reply to
BillGill

Just because it is called a "whole house filter" does not mean it has to filter the whole house. Mine is mounted on the basement ceiling and is for the cold water tap in the kitchen. They can go under the sink too. It has benefits of sensibly priced cartridges and no bulky blob on the end of a faucet like the Pur and Brita types.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski