Whole House Water Filter

Anyone out there own the OmniFilter U25 Whole House Water Filter? I've had mine for over a year now, but I can't get it to seal after a recent filter change. I've always kept the O-Ring Lubricated with faucet grease and the Threads of the cartridge holder wrapped with Teflon Tape. I've tried several times but I just can't get it to seal. The filter holder is screwing into the housing correctly, not crosss-threaded.

Any Ideas?

Thanks In Advance, -a12vman

Reply to
a12vman

Try changing the o-ring.

If that doesn't work, I just had to tighten it some more. Sometimes I've been to the point of wondering how I would get it back off without breaking it.

Of it's just a slow drip, it'll probably seal itself in a day or so. They do that for some reason.

Use one of those old-fashioned cloth pipe-wrenches to take it off and hope you don't crush it. Not fun when on a ladder.

Reply to
Pat

Get rid of the tape on the housing threads. All they require is to be clean. They are not (tapered) pipe threads so they don't seal, they just tighten the sump into the head.

O-ring seals seal without more effort/force than hand tight plus ever so little bit more, so if you are using a wrench to tighten the sump until you can't turn it anymore, that's probably why it won't seal. Over tightening o-rings is the primary cause of leaks. It stretches and overly compresses them.

The best lubricant for o-rings is water or silicon for potable water use only. Do not use anything else; like Crisco, vegetable oils or petroleum based anything. They damage o-rings and void warranties.

Omni is not the best choice for disposable cartridge filter housings. They either leak or you can't them apart.

Reply to
Gary Slusser

I have had mine, an Omnifilter, for over 15yrs. Never had one drip from it....None. I'd try another O-Ring. If it leaked from day one it may be the plastic housing has a problem and I would swap it out. The filters DO NOT need teflon tape to create a seal, thats what the O- Ring is there for. But for the most part, it should never leak. Don't beleive the "it will seal itself" statements. A leak is a leak is a leak. Fix it and stop it from leaking. Leaks will only create BIGGER problems if left to un-attended.

-paul

Reply to
Paul Flansburg

Besides what everyone else says, the filter itself has a ring in the top center that can sometimes come off when it's being removed, and get left in the top of the filter housing, making the bottom of the housing unable to be screwed on completely with the new filter. Check to see if you have a ring stuck up in the upper housing around the center hole.

Reply to
Abe

My experience always has slow leaks caused by grit on the Oring. I get alot of sand in mine and rinsing the O ring off just never seems to get it out. I always have to remove the O ring and totally dry it with a clean towel. and than clean the O ring channel with a dry towel. and than clean the O ring sealing surface with a dry towel. SOmetimes I will lube the O ring but not always (dependds if I can find the lube)

You dont need the teflon tape. the seal is done with the O ring, not the threads

Reply to
jmagerl

Thanks for all your suggestions, I will remove/inspect/clean the o-ring & reinstall. Will also remove the thread tape(this was suggestion from Lowe's).

Reply to
a12vman

I've been using vasoline for 10 years now; the o-rings look brand new.

Reply to
Toller

Vick's Vapo Rub in the Winter months :-))

-- Oren

Oren

Thanks for all of your suggestions, I removed the Thread Tape, cleaned the O-Ring, re-installed and it sealed perfectly. All is well now.

Reply to
a12vman