Subject Author Posted Replies

Patio Door Installed Incorrectly -- Need A Fix
As I understand it my patio doors were supposed to be installed on a step down cut into the slab so it wouldn't leak water into the house. They weren't and I have four of them. Whatever the reason...
13
13

garage -- leaky by design?
I want to insulate my garage door better because cold air is coming in from the bottom and side. However, there are a gas furnace and gas water heater in the garage that use the ambient air. So if I...
13
13

Is Rough Opening On The Same Plane?
I was reading the installation instructions for my ThermaTru entry door found at: the standard level, plumb and square checks, they also mentioned this: *** Begin Stolen Text *** Check to be sure the...
7
7

Antifreeze - not just for cars
Friend of mine, is acting as caretaker for a family member's house. The power got shut off, and the house is cold inside. Down to 37, last he checked. Four burneers on the stove for an hour raises the...
179
179

A new thing to worry about
Powering Your Switch Connect the supplied AC adapter to 12VDC/100mA on the back of the switch. Then, plug the other end of the adapter into a standard AC outlet. The power turns on. Note: To avoid...
53
53

tapered concrete pillars
Our late '40s place has concrete pillars in the basement - about 7' high, 12"x12", but tapered in toward the top by maybe 2". Fair enough... but I just noticed that they're also tapered by 2" at the...
24
24

Proper working Anvil Height
Hello. I am buying a 100 lb Anvil and want to know what would be the proper working height to set it up in. I am 5' 6" in height if that would have any bearing. I just thought there must a normal...
12
12

Receptacles lying flat on surface?
I was in my dentist's waiting room this morning and I noticed something that I'm wondering about. The exterior wall has ceiling to *almost* floor windows. There is a wooden ledge at the bottom, about...
11
11

wooden I beams?
what are those wooden beams that look sort of like an I beam called?...the ones made up partially of OSB? thanks, cj
12
12

Speaking of broken spark plugs...
My ex's 1999 Subaru Legacy (4 cyl, 126K miles) began making some nasty noises in the motor a week ago. She drove it 2 blocks and it's been sitting in the driveway ever since, while she ponders what to...
75
75

Bottom of garage door question
Hi all. My garage door is old (maybe 30 years) and probably needs to be replaced - but not right now. In the short term, I'm seeking a little advice from the good folks here. When the door is closed,...
27
27

Laundry Floor Replacement
Our laundry rooom floor has that 1-inch square ceramic tile glued to plywood. It's over a crawlspace, if that matters. The little squares are coming lose in a couple of the high-traffic areas but...
3
3

New Tax Credits???
The new energy tax credit appears to apply only to the cost of the materials, like new sliding doors with energy efficient glass, but not to any of the installation costs. That limit that can be...
4
4

Dishwasher acting up
Hi all: I have a Maytag Jetclean dishwasher that's about 13-15 years old and has been lightly used during that time. Recently, the machine has started making light rattling noises during the dry...
7
7

Sealing Tile Grout
My ceramic tile looks o.k. but the grout is very dirty. I remember when it was laid, the man said he wasn't sealing the grout for some reason. I didn't questions it - now I wish I had. I am thinking...
12
12