Ok with code to insulate gas furnace vent pipe?

Not sure if it's something that varies by locale, but is it usually OK with code to insulate a gas furnace vent pipe with something non-combustible, like fiberglass insulation?

Reply to
Jack Rogers

no, you use b-vent pipe or triple wall. Or some form of insulated pipe MADE for the application.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Forgot to include some relevant info. The vent pipe itself is not required to be insulated (at least not the section I'm talking about, as far as I know). That (section of) the vent pipe is indoor and near space that needs to be accessed from time to time for other reasons. The purpose of the insulation is to protect people from accidentally coming into contact with the pipe.

Reply to
Jack Rogers

So its hot, you dont touch it like you dont touch a stove burner thats on, but the flue wont hurt you , its free heat, its not insulated.

Reply to
ransley

As someone else said, B vent pipe is easily available for this.

Reply to
Bob F