Bathtub Stopper--Slow Leak

I didn't find anything on this in the archives (surprisingly)....so here goes: My daughter's tub in the Master Bath (her home is about 6 years old) has a slow stopper leak. It started this at about 4+ years of age. I have replaced the (very small cross-section) O-ring a couple of times to no avail. I lubed the new O-ring and was very careful with it both times I installed a new one. The stopper assembly has a vertical/concentric guide pin to keep it centered and the only downward force to keep water in the tub is the weight of the stopper .... (and the water above it, I guess.) It seems to be loose and free enough on the guide pin. She says if she just rests her heel on it, it doesn't leak and she can "put up with it" ......but of course, if/when the house is sold it will sure have to be fixed (it's audible with the tub 1/2 full or so.) Question: Is there a tool to resurface the sealing surface on the tub-portion of the drain ass'y (looks to be about a 45-degree angle)? There is nothing obvious to the eye, and it feels smooth. The only thing I tried was to go over it with some 4/0 steel wool to try to shine it up a bit.....but the leak lives on. : ^) Any suggestions? Perhaps a full-up plumbing supply would have O-rings with a softer "durometer" than the ones I have been buying at the "Big Box" store....but I haven't checked that out yet. TIA. Ed Sievers in TX

Reply to
Ed Sievers

What is your time worth? Change out the assembly and be done with it.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers