Subject Author Posted Replies

Compressor watts, as function of discharge PSI
Can't remember if it was this list. The question was raised, does compressor amperage decrease as pressure increases. I set up an informal test, using equipment on hand. Plugged in a Kill A Watt...
15
15

Need a better battery.
I have a project to decorate the family "Little Red Wagon" with Christmas lights. So I stated experimenting with LED light strings and battery combinations. I finally decided to use an Inverter and...
37
37

175 sq ft home
"[NEW YORK] Zaarath and Christopher Prokop -- and their two cats -- live in the smallest apartment in the city, a 175-square-foot "microstudio" in Morningside Heights the couple bought three months...
29
29

Tile installation question
I'm getting ready to install some tile in my kitchen. I'm using 3x8 tiles, and I'm doing them two high and about 30 feet long as a backsplach on the wall around my kitchen counters. I have pretty much...
5
5

Oversized New Work Electrical Box
Does anyone know of an over-sized, single-gang, new work, electrical box? The standard ones with the swing out tabs are too small. The guy who re-sided my house with Hardiplank cut the opening for the...
7
7

Dishwasher / Garbage Disposal Drain / Can Opener Mystery
Yesterday I was confronted by a brand new (< 1 year old) Bosch dishwasher that was not completely draining. It had been installed in an older home (+ 25 years). I ran through a wash cycle and the...
10
10

Dual Saw -- anyone use one?
Awl -- I haven't, but for the life of me, all I see are *disadvantages* to this gadget. The first is, of course, cost. This thing is triple the cost of a 7 1/4" circ saw, with blades that are 4-6...
32
32

Spontaneous oily rag combustion, hood grease fires
Awl -- Any thoughts on this, esp. on how likely this all is? Anyone with personal experience? says Yea on the possibility, for *uncovered* Linseed oil soaked rags. Also large Q's of pistachio nuts --...
41
41

Generator Inlet
On my new house I had the electrician install a generator panel. He also put an inlet connector outside the house. This connector is a 4 pin female connector in a box with a hinged cover. Shouldn't...
25
25

Way to die #230 -Trailer Trashed
"chlorine gas" Video: Television's destination for premium entertainment and storytelling, with original scripted and non-scripted series.

How to have a lamp turn on when inside temp drops below sixty.
I'm a snowbird and worry about a furnace failure while I'm away. I've heard that there is a temperature sensing switch that will turn on a lamp if the house gets too cold. I'd like to set a lamp in...
47
47

cement type roof tiles
Storm here last night and this morning I saw one of the roof vents damaged, standing straight up. How do I walk on flat cement tiles without breaking them? Thank you, Seamus J. Wilson
3
3

2002 source1 hvac control
I have an Source1 HVAC control which is failing. It works. turns on the heat, but shuts off prematurely. Does anyone know if it is possible to fix it, or is that too complicated to try fixing by...
18
18

OT Last night's weather
OT Is there a website or something that will tell me last night's weather? For example, today I want to go hikiing but not it's going to be muddy. Maybe it was clear last night and it's not muddy at...
11
11

Fluorescent Light Question
We have some fluorescent lights that are causing a buzz in our sound system. I am pretty certain the ballasts are magnetic type. Would changing them to electronic ballasts reduce or eliminate the...
4
4