Subject Author Posted Replies

Extra sod
I have a bit of extra sod, and it will be a few days until I can find a place for it. I have some moving blankets on it, and have the sprinklers running, getting it wet several times a day. Is this...
5
5

New (house) heating system... is this a good/great deal?
I get an unsolicited call around a month ago and it's a woman who says they are with a program that might install a heater in my house (Berkeley, CA). She didn't say that exactly, but that's where the...
41
41

Inventor of Weed-Eater dies
"While driving through an automatic carwash in 1971, George Ballas watched the whirling nylon bristles glide around the contour of his vehicle and wondered if he could adapt the technology to remove...
9
9

Search warrants for code violations?
"[VIRGINIA] The City of Lynchburg is trying to give the planning commission (building permits, code enforcement, etc.) the ability to issue search warrants if they suspect ?code? violations." Huh?
36
36

CFL bulbs
I'm pretty sure I've replaced the CFL in my kitchen twice in the last year. Nothing funny about the application that I can see: single light fixture in center of ceiling, with a globe. Gets used about...
28
28

Small Briggs and Stratton motors
There's a number of folks, some on this forum, that say that B&S make good motors. I don't doubt it, but ... In my garage for maybe 15 years is an MTD 21" push mower with a B&S 4hp ("Quatro", I think)...
9
9

George Ballas was 85
He invented the Weed Eater. George Ballas built the Weed Eater into a $40-million-a-year business. He also opened a dance hall in Houston, and his son Corky and grandson Mark Ballas became...
1
1

Getting rid of moles in a lawn? (2023 Update)
Anyone have any actual success in any solutions that work to get rid of moles? Would appreciate real results as opposed to what is supposed to work.
18
18

Sod redux
The greatest portion of the sod was laid today, leaving about a pallet left. The sod was as thick as I have seen it, but a little thinner than the thickest. It does NOT have a woven plastic mat, but...
6
6

old dresser knobs - no screws (2023 Update)
I'm trying to refinish an old dresser, but ran into a stumbling block when trying to take the hardware off the drawers. The knobs and handles are not screwed on, but from the inside have some form of...
10
10

Underground electrical lines
I want to grow a large Hibiscus hedge about 6' in front of my back yard fence. My concern is the city has buried electrical lines just in front of this fence. Does anyone know if the roots from large...
2
2

Removing cement shower base -- any tips?
I'm remodeling a shower with a tiled cement base -- including removal of that base. It's approx. 32" x 30" x 2" (thinner in the middle where the drain is). How much would it weigh? Is it better to try...
1
1

OT How much do you know about Independence Day?
Sorry for the OT, but it is our Independence Day. Take this short test and find out. I did do too well - 15. Bob-tx http://local.cincinnati.com/quiz/quiz.aspx?qid=228
3
3

Replacing fascia board and gutter: how hard?
The fascia board on our addition is rotting out. How hard is it to replace that and the gutter? In this particular case, the gutter isn't too far off the ground (maybe 7 or 8 feet). It's not all that...
7
7

Kill lichen/moss on roof
What should I use to kill lichen/moss on my roof? I've seen recs for (1) household bleach (2) "oxygen bleach" (whatever that is) (3) copper compounds (but I haven't really been able to find such...
5
5