Protecting garage floor from salt dripping off car and follow up for earlier question..

Not interested in nor can I afford the garage floor coatings that's all the rage...Just trying to come up with something simple to put under the car this winter to protect the concrete from salt...The concrete is crumbling a bit where the tires sit...The garage is about 5 years old if that matters...Poly would be to slick..A chunk of Astr-Turf or similar ?? Thanks for any help...Sorry for bringing up winter so early but it comes quick here in Maine...LOL..

As a side note I asked months ago about replacing an ancient 1960's burner in an American Standard boiler..Believe it or not it was STILL running but I couldn't get parts for it anymore...The old one sat on a lip and I asked about drilling holes and mounting a new Beckett Burner...Well , did that the other day..Took the front panel off and marked and drilled holes and J B Welded some bolts on the inside threads poking out ..Used the JB Weld to keep the bolts in place...Gave it a GOOD cleaning and put the front panel back on...Slid the new burner with gasket on , put the nuts on and tighened them , connected it up , hit the switch and presto , runs like a charm....Thanks for the advice....What a GREAT feeling to do something yourself...Not to mention the $$$$$ saved...

Reply to
benick

Even plain old floor paint would give some protection.

Get back to us next spring. I'm curious as to how much more efficient the new burner is. Anyone with old equipment can usually save a bundle on fuel cost by upgrading.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I await your check for 5 grand for a new system...Thanks...LOL...It doesn't run as long to bring up the temp in the boiler now..That I do know.....When I can AFFORD to replace it I will...Not an option now...Considering we only use about 400 gallons a year for heat and hot water in our little ranch the pay back would be long after I'm gone at my age...I have replaced all the windows , doors and added insulation to the attic over the past few years as we could afford it and that has helped ALOT...We used to use around 500 gallons...Also looking for a used pellet stove if I could get one for the right price...New ones are still to much for us at this time...

Reply to
benick

I await your check for 5 grand for a new system...Thanks...LOL...It doesn't run as long to bring up the temp in the boiler now..That I do know.....When I can AFFORD to replace it I will...Not an option now...Considering we only use about 400 gallons a year for heat and hot water in our little ranch the pay back would be long after I'm gone at my age...I have replaced all the windows , doors and added insulation to the attic over the past few years as we could afford it and that has helped ALOT...We used to use around 500 gallons...Also looking for a used pellet stove if I could get one for the right price...New ones are still to much for us at this time...

Reply to
benick

"benick" wrote

Payback may be sooner than you think, especially as the price of oil climbs. The new burner you just put in may be better than the old one, thus my request to report back.

I had my system replaced two years ago. The state offered 0% financing for

10 years. My monthly payment is $20 less that I'd be paying for oil right now. I saved 39% in oil use. It would be stupid for me to pass that up, putting a small amount of cash in my pocket and a new, better heating system to boot. My oil use was 850 gallons a year though.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"benick" wrote

Ton of pellets is equal to about 120 gallons of oil. They seem to be a practical alternative if the stove can be paid for.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Whatever you put down, you have to guard against it leaking which is why carpeting probably will not work.

How about hosing down the tires before you pull into the garage?

Oh, and you should wash down the existing floor at your earliest convenience.

Reply to
HeyBub

Investing money in repairs/improvements to the building envelope are often a batter way to spend money than running out and having a new heating system installed...

With modern efficient boilers you can get away with a smaller system if you improve your building's heat loss characteristics...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Painting the floor sounds like an option...

If you don't want to be doing that then you will have to regularly wash the floor by hosing it down...

Using carpeting of any type will only provide a medium for the salt- rich liquids to concentrate and take longer to dry...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

If Maine would do that I would do it BUT that's not an option so...

850 gallons a year...Holy crap....LOL...I'm glad I have a 30 by 42 split level ranch with attached garage...Plenty for the wife and I...Was plenty when the boy was still here even....

I have been LOOKING at those new pellet boilers..Kinda pricey though...Anyone seen one in use ??? I always leery of new things...LOL...

Reply to
benick

Yea I looked around but at 1500 and up for new I can't do it right now..Construction has completely died up here and now starting over in a new job...Getting by but just barely...Always got an eye out for a used one though...

Reply to
benick

Investing money in repairs/improvements to the building envelope are often a batter way to spend money than running out and having a new heating system installed...

With modern efficient boilers you can get away with a smaller system if you improve your building's heat loss characteristics...

~~ Evan

My thoughts exactly and I can do it ALL muself...

Reply to
benick

Yea I washed it last spring...I wasn't thinking carpet per say..I was thinking that plastic Astro Turf stuff you see on pool decks and such...

Reply to
benick

Painting the floor sounds like an option...

If you don't want to be doing that then you will have to regularly wash the floor by hosing it down...

Using carpeting of any type will only provide a medium for the salt- rich liquids to concentrate and take longer to dry...

~~ Evan

Don't really want to paint...Once you start , well you know...The studded tires would wear it off pretty quick too I think...

Reply to
benick