What is this device?

Can you identify this device? It's affixed to the shed in my neighbour's garden. Camera? Light?

Commander Kinsey

G r o g

That looks like either:

  1. A directional external 4g antenna for a 4g internet router.....
  2. A Wi-fi directional antenna to pick up the Wifi from the main house
Reply to
No Name

WiFi antenna? Does he have cameras there too?

Reply to
gfretwell

Too easy, were's the fun in that?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not without trespassing in his garden.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

But why would he install it outside instead of inside the shed in the dry? The wooden wall of a shed is not going to block much signal.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Out in the rain instead of inside the dry shed?

I've never seen any security cameras.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The response would be "mind your own f****ng business".

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Have you tried asking them? That is what I'd do. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Commander Kinsey snipped-for-privacy@military.org.jp> wrote

Not possible, its such a lousy photo, doesn't sown the outer end.

Reply to
Rod Speed

He may not have thought of that and the mount isnt really that suitable for internal mounting and it may well be waterproof anyway.

Depends on whether it has foil insulation inside. My mate had his son's house next door to his house and we attempted to share his son's broadband that way but the foil insulation in the walls means that the antenna has to be outside.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Twist it so that it points up in the air and see what happens.

Reply to
Andrew

The bracket is designed to take two flat bottomed U bolts for mast fixing.

That sort of plastic bracketry is very vulnerable to a knock from a ladder or a ball.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

As it's on a shed, looks to me like the type of point-to-point outdoor antenna used to extend the main house's WiFi to the shed, which may be out of range, or too weak, to try with usual laptop builtin antenna.

Is there a similar one on the main house ?

One place I worked had such a setup between 2 buildings. Cheaper than getting a second drop from the cable co.

Reply to
Anonymous

If you really want to get into this, but a drone for 50 to 100 dollars and I'm sure, after practicing quite a while in a wide open field, you can get a perspective where you see the whole thing while the drone is over your land.

I was going to do that to ispect my roof, but a kindly roofer took pictures of it for me.

Reply to
micky

You find it acceptable to make a noise all through the night? My neighbour used to have those things, I didn't have to touch them, a very strong wind smashed them up 2 weeks after she bought them. My other neighbour had set up a large canopy to sit under in the garden, and the same wind picked it up and blew it right over my fence and narrowly missed 2 ornaments. He came round to ask for it back, so I handed him the bent out of shape broken bits of steel and torn canvas, then reminded him that there could have been a £60 bill for two ornaments. His next construction was more stable.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

What's your best tip to get revenge on someone using a wood burning stove? I could aim my jetwash into the chimney and flood the living room....

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Lol. I've got someone nearby that uses a wood burning stove on cold nights. On calm nights or almost calm and I'm downwind, the outside air will choke you from that damn smoke.

Best revenge: Silently put up a ladder to the roof and put a heavy blanket over the chimney. Saw that one on "Gunsmoke."

Reply to
Gary

Not on speaking terms.

Reply to