What is this device?

A yard is pretty much a metre.

Bloody hell, are you a millionaire?

Why are you doing that weird American thing of using smaller denominations? Why use feet when you could use a smaller number of yards? Why do Americans say they weigh 140 pounds instead of 10 stone? Why don't you just go for it and list the sizes in inches?

You know you're well off when you have quadrants.

I misread that as "is much fatter".

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Nope, far more are rectangular.

Wrong. Few have the same sized front yards as backyards, for a reason.

You don't have any choice with the smaller blocks.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

This username is already taken by a different troll, try again Rod.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Frontage affects property taxes just about everywhere - It is not the only (or even the main) determinant, but it is a significant factor A lot 22 yards deep and 880 yards wide would have a MUCH higher tax except if zoned agricultural

Reply to
Clare Snyder

For one thing, it costs to install and maintain a driveway, plumbing and electric connections, etc. Most people want to minimize those costs.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

No. My house is pretty much the median for the area. It's a little below the median now because they're building more McMansions than cute little ranch houses.

That's what it says on my deed, so that's what I remember.

We don't use stone at all. It's archaic. OTOH, so are pounds.

Every rectilinear thing has quadrants. I'm just nerdy enough to use the word.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

As far as I know, our property taxes are based purely on value. Of course, for a given acreage a wider property is more valuable than a narrower one (for the most part).

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Frontage affects value. It also affects "your share" of servicing costs - and in many residential areas, the cost of sidewalks and kerbs (curbs). In commercial properties frontage is one of the MAIN determinants due to "exposure value" A land-locked property has very low commercial or residential value. Just like cottage property - where property is often valued by the foot of shoreline. Many of our lakes, shoreline frontage is thousands of dollare per foot of frontage plus thousands of dollars per acre - and the per foot number is a lot higher than the per acre. An acre of rocky scrub bushland isn't worth much, but a thousand feet of shoreline can be worth several million dollars - - - (Lake Joseph, Lake Muskoka, etc)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Yep. I remember my mother complaining when they added kerbs and storm drains to her street. The fact that she has the narrowest lot on the block didn't comfort her much.

Sure. I was mainly talking about 1-acre lots platted out of old corn fields, with not much in the way of infrastructure.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

You mean where all the infrastructure there is is shared by very few

- so you pay through the schnoz for it anyway?

Reply to
Clare Snyder

A friend had a lot on the cornor and when it was decided by the town to put in sidewalks and such, he was charged about double because of being on the cornor and had so much side walk footage to cover.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Around here, when buying a property outside city limits, you're explicitly informed that if the city annexes the area, you are liable for the costs of improvements to the street, from the center of the street to either property line. I suspect there are similar notices given to the buyer during the purchase process (e.g. C&R), so it shouldn't have been a surprise to your friend.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I have a corner lot. Here the property owner is only charged for frontage, not flankage when sidewalks and curbs are added

Reply to
Clare Snyder

On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 21:48:22 -0400, Clare Snyder posted for all of us to digest...

My insurance co, lawyer, and township all said it doesn't matter. One it falls on your property it's your responsibility. I have a car and two tress on my house to confirm that.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

If you own land big enough to count it in acres, the cost of plumbing is negligible.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Then the area must be posh, or you're in the middle of whatever "outback" is called over there. How much is it worth?

Yes, but the thing that annoys me is when people use a smaller denomination than necessary. Like saying "pour 1500g of sugar into the mixture" instead of 1.5kg, or stating a washing machine is 600mm wide instead of 60cm. With metric at least you can do 10,100,1000 calculations in your head.

Nah, nobody uses quadrant for a small thing. Quadrant is for stuff like galaxies.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Pity about the driveway.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Property taxes in the UK are f***ed up. I'm paying tax according to the value of the house when I bought it 20 years ago. But if I was to sell the house, they would update it to its current value and the next owner would pay much more.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

WTF? Why would you pay more to have it wider? I'd prefer it narrower, less view of the street.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I'm glad I don't live over there. My property tax cannot change until I move house.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey