What is this device?

There's a weird thing about kerbs in some areas of England (especially Hull). Some houses didn't have a driveway when they were built, so people made their own. Oh but driving over a pavement (er sidewalk) that wasn't made with a dropped kerb is somehow sacreligious. A guy in Hull made one so he could charge his electric car. The council wasted money putting up two bollards (while his car was on his property!) to block him in. They should have been done with theft, since they stopped him being able to use his car. I would have taken an anglegrinder to them.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

So are they.

Stupid system, pandering to the stick in the muds.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Would not be so bad to have that for seniors but I was in my last house

37 years. It would be a great deal for me, not so good for new buyers making up the difference.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It isnt really about what is better for particular individuals, it should be about what works best for society as a whole.

There is an argument that the property tax system should encourage empty nesters to downsize to make more houses available to those starting a family etc. otoh does it really make a lot of sense to encourage those who are happy to stay where they are even when there is just one who hasn't moved out of die to move by slugging them higher taxes when they will die eventually.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I have a long time friend in the same house for over 45 years. They added on when mom moved in with them. Now everyone is gone, she is a widow, alone in a 3600 sq ft house. Why?

Just thinking about cleaning a 13 room house tires me out and yes, she is my age, we'll be 75 in a couple of months. Lovely house, but there are much smaller ones very nice too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Sure, but that's a separate issue to whether property taxes should be used for encourage people to do what they choose not to do.

The better off can just pay someone to do the cleaning and plenty do.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I found the answer I think, I recently put 5 powerful uncased computers in my garage. RF interference has caused him to install a repeater for WiFi or 4G.... [evil laugh]

Reply to
Commander Kinsey