What is this device?

on 6/28/2020, Jake56 supposed :

Only if she has had a lawyer write a request that he take down a dangerous tree does she have a leg to stand on.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Surely I'm being totally and utterly negligent in allowing my property to be likely to damage hers? It's like parking my car at the top of a hill, facing towards somebody's house, and having a shitty handbrake. If the car hits the house, it was my fault!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Does not compute. With 2 acres, you'd be way more than 30m away. 2 acres is huge.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Maybe he brought it over?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Our little cat never bothered anybody (outside of the house) as she was virtually never out (The exception was the few times she let herself out the patio door and sat in the sun for a few minutes un till she was spooked by something and came tearing back in). Daughter's cat NEVER goes outside, and if we get another it won't either. Our old big cat liked going out, but seldom left our yard (and NEVER climbed on anything)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

IF the neighbour's tree had dead branches etc and was made aware of the problem, and the tree comes down on your house, their insurance CAN be required to cover the damage.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

No lawyer required - just a registered letter will do the job (usually) as proof.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

But you arent legally responsible for the damage that it does in a big storm if you don't. And in fact plenty of jurisdictions don't allow you to trim trees like that.

But impossible to predict what might damage outside your own property if bits come off in a big storm and that is much more likely to happen than the entire tree falling over.

Reply to
Jake56

She doesn't even if she had done that and it doesn't have to be written by a lawyer either.

Reply to
Jake56

Legally, no. Same with your house and other stuff too.

Legally it isnt the same at all.

Reply to
Jake56

He said too tall, not dead branches. And you don't have to make them aware of dead branches to be able to claim for damaged caused by the dead branch coming off in a big storm either.

Reply to
Jake56

An acre is 220 yards x 22 yards (at least that's how I remember it), thus it would be quite easy to be 30 yards from a neighbour. OK, it could be 70yds x 70yds but even then you can't be all that far from the edge.

Reply to
Chris Green

It was 2 acres quoted. That's 34 times the land I've got. And I'm 20 metres from my neighbour. Most people put their house in the middle of the land. Most people don't have long thin strips of land.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Your problem.

Your problem.

< Most people put their house in the middle of the land.

Most don't with the larger blocks.

Irrelevant.

Reply to
Jake56

Sorry, I only think in "old money". My property is 264 feet wide and

330 feet from front to back. The house is not on the center of the property; it's in the northeast quadrant. Thus, one of my neighbors is pretty close, and the other is much farther.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

So even a perfectly square 2 acres is less than 100 yards by 100 yards. Exactly in the middle of that puts you only 50 yards from the edge. Who has a perfectly square 2 acres and who puts their house exactly in the middle?

We have a 9 acre plot, we're closer than 50 yards to a couple of houses.

Reply to
Chris Green

Actually,in a lot of "strip developments" - rural residential lots along rural roads, there is a minimum lot size requirement (around here generally 4 acres) that can be severed - and with lot taxes based heavily on frontage it is not uncommon to have rather narrow deep lots. They may be half a concession deep (about 880 yards) by 22 yards (66 feet) wide. Thats just about 6 feet wider than a 1/3 acre lot here in town and about the same as many 1/2 acre "estate" lots.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

It's that Rod Speed moron, nymshifting. He does it every time I killfile him. I guess I'm the only one who talks to him.

I won't see any replies to this as jakr56 is now killfiled too. Watch this, it'll change to another name in a minute.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Not clear how common that is in the first world. It isn't that common to have land or property taxes based on the frontage to produce that result.

Reply to
Jake56

Double that as the neighbour has the same gap.

Plots tend to be squarish.

Most houses are fairly near the middle. Why would you want to be close to a neighbour's house?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey