Does anyone know what this is?

Does anyone know what this is? I'm writing a family history and I found this amongst the tools my dad had when he worked at a wagon shop before and after the war.

williamwright

We had one on the farm and I always assumed it was for pulling staples but don't remember using it.

Reply to
AJH

Boggle... Was it something for cutting or trimming wire spokes?

Reply to
JNugent

the "jaws" clamping tighter as you apply force. What the objects involved are ........

Reply to
Robert

some sort of slide-hammer, nail-puller?

Andy Burns

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Did you watch the video? The slide action isn't for pulling the nail

*out* it's for jamming the jaws *in* to the wood to grab nails below the surface ...
Reply to
Andy Burns

To be honest I didn't notice that there was a video. Yes, it explains it perfectly. I am forever in your debt.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

I can't see it, of course but another trade that seemed to have some strange implements was coopers. Barrels with metal straps apparently are not as simple to make as they might appear. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Wagon bottoms? Wheelwrights use something like a nail puller I distinctly recall when a lad old Jack Hargraves doing a feature on making wheels and repairing old ones which was often when that sort of device was needed. Old crafts we are losing are quite interesting. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

What a find! Thank you Andy -- how'd you find that? That site looks as deadly absorbing as Marty's Matchbox Makeovers - but with added Master-Craftsman value.

Also: I love that tool for finding buried nail heads. I clearly need one of them.

Aside That chap looks as old as me, judging by the face, and the way his arms are creasing .... but he can get on his knees!!! And jump up again! And look at that hair!

John

Reply to
Another John

I remembered watching the video several years ago, but he's changed his channel name since then to "Next Level Carpentry".

It's the getting up ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

It looks fairly similar to a tool that I have for tensioning wire fences. You grab the wire in the jaws and use the fene post to lever it round and tension it. Your third hand is then required to drive in the staple.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

It's for pulling nails out of the like of packing cases. The weighty part on the left is a slide hammer. You apply the right hand pncers around the nail head, use the slide hammer to force it into the wood surface, then tilt the whole thing to grip and extract the nail.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

To dig into the wood around the nail head. I have used one many times.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I know! He's very good isn't he?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Looks handy for pulling pallet nails, I wish I had kept hold of it.

Reply to
AJH

Huh. Ringshanks! Best raked out with the ash:-)

Thought of you as there is thread on The Farming Forum about using grain as boiler fuel.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It's for removing varicose veins.

Reply to
Andrew

I never managed to get on the farming forum, anyway it made the street smell of burnt toast.

Reply to
AJH