Cordless strimmers - ?

I know we discussed cordless vs. wired (and petrol) in April, but I'm asking more specifically this time:

Can anyone recommend a good, powerful corded strimmer?

I have a friend who's now just gone 80, and his petrol strimmer / brushcutter is getting too heavy for him. Also, he's getting annoyed with the onset of one fiddling problem after another with it (failing to start, cutting out, etc.)

He has quite a bit of land, and has quite a bit of grass cutting and brush cutting to do.

He asked me what I thought of cordless machines - I rehearsed to him the various pros and cons brought up in April, but said I would ask the question specifically.

(I suspect the answer is that he won't be able to afford a cordless machine that will replace a petrol job, for demanding work like he has.)

Cheers John

Reply to
Another John

I'm very happy with my G-tec one, but I saw a Ryobi +One strimmer the other day and it was vey impressive, I'v went 80 last year and I have no problem with the petrol one have as well - but not for long periods.

Reply to
charles

I have an earlier version of one of these

which is a lot easier than a petrol, but still powerful, and cheaper than a cordless.

But I do have convenient outdoor power sockets and don't need extension leads.

Reply to
newshound

Do what I do. Pay someone to do it.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Subject line says cordless?

I've had one of these for a couple of years.

as a strimmer it takes 2.4mm line which is pretty tough, and it'll also take chunky brush cutter blades, it "dangle" from a shoulder harness so the weight isn't on your arms (once you get the balance point setup) generally it has more stamina on a pair of 6Ah batteries than I do ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

No I had an interesting chat with a council worker who said that the petrol flails they use do not have any electric equivalent due to the torque needed to cut long damp grass etc. Apparently the council are worried about the fumes from the current devices, let alone the noise!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa