dry mix pointing, moisten?

I've just brushed some dry mix between some paving, shall I moisten it or let the atmosphere do the job?

Reply to
R D S

let the atmosphere do it

Then when it rains you can have the fun of brick aciding all the splashes of cement off the slabs

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I find that the wetter the mix I use for pointing the better it works, especially if I keep it wet while it sets.

Reply to
Chris Green

Dry Grouting

"The 4:1 mortar mixture is mixed dry - no water is added at all, and it is essential that the sands and cement are thoroughly mixed together in the dry state before scattering onto the dry paving surface, and then using a soft brush to sweep the mix into the joints.

Once an area has been covered, every joint is forcibly struck with the edge of a trowel to pack down the dry mix into the joints, and the process is repeated as required. Sweeping at an angle of 45° to the direction of the paving joints prevents the mix from being swept out of the joint. All surplus mix should be swept off and disposed, it can be re-used to seal other areas, if required, as, unlike the wet grout above, the cement content has not been wetted and is therefore still relatively fresh.

Once all the joints are filled, some contractors prefer to sprinkle the area with a fine spray to dampen the mixture within the joints, but we find this tends to splash some of the mix onto the paving surface.

We only use this dry grouting method with freshly buttered joints, where find that there is sufficient moisture from the 'proper' mortar to initiate setting of the dry mix.

Dry mix into dry joints rarely, if ever, produces a good joint <=== "

If there's no rain in the forecast, and you're fast, perhaps you can back out and make a new plan :-) Depending on what your objectives are, or what you'd be happy with.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Fail.

Mmmh, 24 hours later I can see myself raking it out and redoing it.

Buggeration. It looks OK though, right at this very moment.

Reply to
R D S

Water in the soil/sand does the job it. It seems to work well enough in practice.

Reply to
Nick Cat