Mix satin and gloss poly?

I was in the local hardwood store a couple of weeks ago with the missus when I overheard a conversation between another couple and a store employee. They were looking at polyurethane. The store carried what they were looking for in only satin and gloss. They were after something in a semi-gloss. I suspect that they could buy some of each and mix to obtain the desired sheen. My understanding is that it is just the amount of flattening agent that creates the level of sheen. Is that correct?

todd

Reply to
todd

todd wrote: [snip] They were after something in a semi-gloss. I

Absolutely. In fact, I buy Sikkens Autocryl Matting Clear to add, as I wish, to High gloss Autocryl Clear. It gives me a range from one end to the other. Wet-look to VERY matte.... and all points in between. ( I only shoot that stuff on panels placed directly next to a range...high service areas etc.... just too cost-prohibitive for every-day use.) I would suggest to stick to the same chemistry when blending. IOW.. don't add a gloss from MinWax to a matte from Benjamin Moore.... In most cases, the matting agent is just sand. (Ultra-fine ground silica)

Robatoy

Correct, actually the lack of sheen, but you know that.

Reply to
Leon

Better to always use gloss then buff out with steel wool or sandpaper to degloss. Or at the very least, only use satin/semi for the final coat. Using it for all coats tends to look bad because the particles in the polyurethane make the finish look 'muddy'.

Reply to
Fenrir Enterprises

Isn't satin another word for semi-gloss?

In other words is it... Gloss semi-gloss/satin flat

or is it Gloss semi-gloss satin flat

meaning satin has less gloss than semi but more than flat. satin is not flat in my mind. I'm sure every manufacturer is different though.

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita

No

You're right that different manufacturers will have different specs for their particular version of "satin", GENERALLY speaking, satin should fall out somewhere around 45 to 50 on the sheen meter, with full gloss coming in around 65 to 75, and dead flat at 20 or less. A sheen meter measures "specular gloss", or what percent of light is reflected by a surface( at an approximate angle of 45 degrees to the surface). The only way to really tell is spray a test surface with two or three coats, and then see if you like it.

babygrand