Switch ID

Does this switch look familiar to any of you? I need to replace it but the manufacturer of the device does not list it as a spare part!

Its the switch from the Kenlowe after-market thermostatic fan controller on my Land Rover.

Mike

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Muddymike wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

It looks like a micro switch - I guess it is part of an assembly that has something that expands when hot that presses the plunger.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

DerbyBorn

That's the sort of thing but the one I need is larger at 50mm long. I've already been right through the RS catalogue of micro switches.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Does it have to be the same size, or would a smaller one mounted on/in a suitable block of something do the trick if the button could be positioned in the right place?

Reply to
John Rumm

Muddymike wrote in news:h5CdnW4gfq snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

I wonder if someone can suggest an electronic version - sensor and electronic switch - or are you a restorer who likes things to be as original. What is the temperature that it needs to switch on at?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I cannot see why a kenlowe fan meeds a microswitch.

Where in the system does it go?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The dead one is adjustable.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Possibly, if lower rated It could feed the fan via a relay.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

This is an older series of microswitch compared to the modern ones that will be in the catalogues such as RS.

Study the catalogues from makers like Burgess, Honeywell etc for the right case size (there is one at 49.x mm long BA or BZ series comes to mind from the depths!) and then the match plunger style and travel that you need to get a part number, then search for a stockist.

It might be cheaper to buy a smaller series one and being slimmer too which will give enough room for an adaptor mounting plate to put the plunger in the right place using the old mounting holes. Make sure the contact current rating is man enough for lots of amps at 12v DC

Reply to
Bob Minchin

It goes under a plunger operated by a thermocouple. Water gets hot, thermocouple expands, presses adjustable plunger, depresses micro-switch, supplies power to fan, fan spins, cools water, thermocouple contracts...

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Muddymike wrote in news: _Y2dnQWhZ snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

I presume you have tested the switch and proven that it has failed as I would expect the most likely failute would be in the capiliary tube arrangement that pushes the plunger. (not a thermpcouple) Does the switch still click when you manually press it?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Thermocouples don't expand and contract with temperature - they simply provide a temperature dependent voltage output. More likely that what you have is a wax capsule or somesuch.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Bob Minchin formulated the question :

Typical current for a 12v cooling fan is 50amp, unlikely that would be powered directly from a microswitch. There will already be a relay in place.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I've always called this type of thing a Thermocouple no electricity involved. Change temperature of the probe at one end and the dohicky at the other end moves. What do you cal it?

or

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Muddymike wrote in news:S snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

The photo is indeed a Thermocouple. However that is not what you have to operate the switch - you will have a Capillary Tube that actuated a bellow that operates the swithch and is likely to be broken.

DerbyBorn

Muddymike wrote in news:S snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

See the Bulb and Capillary sensor on this site:

Basically the fluid in the bulb expands and this pushes a piston at the other end which operates a microswitch.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Have you tested the switch yet?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I doubt its 50A, they don't usually have fuses that big.

Reply to
dennis

Admittedly that photo is on many sites advertised as a "boiler thermocouple", but it isn't. "Couple" implies "Two" different metals. I call it a capillary-tube temperature sensor. You would be all right to call it a thermostat, because it keeps the temperature constant, but not a thermocouple.

Reply to
Dave W