iPhone charge socket

Remember the problem some people were having with the iPhone charge socket getting fluff in the bottom and thus not allowing the plug to be inserted fully, leading to intermittent charging? Well a week ago I was having that problem. Cleaned out the fluff very gingerly with a sliver of wood from a matchstick ? scared to use a pin because I thought anything conductive might short the socket out. The clean-out didn't work. Tried twice more. As a desperate last resort I held the phone in sunlight angled so I could see (with the aid of my 'extreme close up' specs) into the bottom of the socket. It appeared to be clear. Nevertheless I got a pin and wrapped a tiny turn of selotape around it for insulation. Scraping what appeared to be the bottom surface of the socket revealed it to be a really sold layer of matted fluff! It took some careful work to remove this, but the amount that came out (in lumps) was staggering. The charger plug now locates properly and the phone charges fine. Incidentally I have four chargers and they are all the same as regards this fault and its cure.

Reply to
Bill Wright

That last bit is not very surprising since all the chargers should have identical connectors on the end.

Reply to
charles

I wanted to pre-empt some clever dickey who might say, "How do you know the charger is OK?"

By the way my close inspection shows that the socket only has one row of contacts, not two opposing rows as you'd expect.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I was going to say that it proves you're a dirty bastard, do you have the same problem with belly button fluff ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

I'd be more concerned if it were a woman..

Reply to
Bob Eager