Replacing cast iron drain funnel

In our bathroom, the drains from the bath and the basin exit the wall as lead pipes next to each other. They come down about 6 inches and are above a cone shaped cast iron funnel which sits on top of a cast iron pipe about 2.5" in diameter. The wall side of the funnel is flat.

I would like to replace the funnel and the down pipe with plastic components but I can't find anything suitable.

I presume this is an old system. A more modern system would have a plastic pipe connecting to a vertical soil pipe.

Can anyone advise where I might be able to buy a suitable plastic funnel?

Reply to
Michael Chare

well anywhere will sell a hopper in plastic but you might want to look at aluminium instead.,

Here's something that might work

The Natural Philosopher

Search for "hopper head".

Bear in mind that replacing cast iron with plastic will result in the water being much noisier.

You can still buy cast iron but they ain't cheap

Reply to
Robin
[snip]

Try searching for a 'hopper'

Cheers,

Reply to
Jim White

Solder up one from sheet lead to match. Finish with patinating oil.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Thank you, I did find something at the local builders merchants, but not as nice as the one above.

Looking for a hopper rather than a funnel is the answer.

I am trying to unblock a drain, so I removed the original hopper so that I could poke something up the drain pipe. All that happened was that I broke some of the cast iron drain pipe that had already rusted through in places. I will now have to remove the basin as I now know that the blockage must be before an elbow just below were the basin drain pipe goes through the floor.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Good luck. Anyway it looks like the bits you need are available in a wide variety of materials and finishes so go to it!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher