cast iron downspout

Hi,

I have aluminum downspout that go into a cast iron pipe. I pulled it out as I thought it was plugged. I discovered that it was not plugged and also that there seamed to be another pipe in the ground. Does anyone know where that pipe goes and/or how the cast-iron-pipe-in-the- ground system works?

Thanks,

Carl

carlbernardi

It seams to me that there's insufficient info in your post to give a specific answer.

That cast iron pipe could lead to a municipal sewer or storm drain system, or it could go into a "drywell" on your property which could be an underground cavern filled with small stones.

It's serendipidous that just yeaterday I received a recorded phone message at home telling me that I needed to set up an appointment for an engineering firm hired by our town to come out and inspect our property to see if I had anything other than household plumbing fixtures connected into the town sewer.

They are looking for stuff like (maybe your) gutter downspouts, driveway drain grates. basement sump pumps or "french drains" which can put water into the sewer lines.

I suppose if they find such things the homeowner will get a surcharge on your water/sewer bill.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Reply to
carlbernardi

Did this pipe that seamed to be in the ground appear to be seemed with lead?

Steve Barker DLT

wouldn't they have to go to a pawn shop to see if they are 'hocked' up?

Steve Barker DLT

Reply to
carlbernardi

Hell, In the last city I lived in they charged you for the rain water that runs off your land into the street storm drains now that the sewer plant processes that water. It is why I got the hell out of that city. I'll be goddamned if I'm going to be charged for rain water.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

What if the pipe was actually made in China? Does it not have a built in translator?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Those cast iron pipes always go thru the earth and come out on the other side of the earth. That's what makes it rain on the other side. If you live in the US, you are supplying rain to China. As you all know, the rain comes up from the ground on the other side of the planet, as is everything else in reverse.

Here's how to test the pipe. Learn to speak Chinese or at least say a few common words to them. Look down the pipe and hollar loudly something like "Hello China" (in chinese). They will likely answer if the pipe goes there. If not, yell louder, and maybe get a few drunken neighbors to yell along with you..... Be patient, they might be busy, so try a little later if no one answers.

Reply to
american

I believe in our area if they find these things attached to the sewers (as in Sanitary) you are ordered to disconnect. The sanitary sewers system can not handle that much water and the treatment facilities overflow in heavy rains. This leads to raw sewage in the rivers and fines from the EPA.

Reply to
Mark