Rotating a cast-iron waste pipe

Hi all.

Is there any way one can rotate a segment of cast-iron waste pipe in-situ by about 45 degrees ? The segment of the pipe I wish to rotate is about 6 feet long, and it has been sitting there for a very long time. I don't know what was used to seal/bond these segments into a stack in them olden days and if anyone has ever tried doing something similar. It would just make the life so much easier if I could get this done.

Cutting and replacing is not really an option as the stack is internal to the building and serves a couple of flats above us and a couple below us. And that could turn into a really shitty job :) And also this is where most of my fears concerning the torsional strength of the above mentioned pipe comes from :)

Any expiriences and /or (sensible :) ideas much appreciated.

Reply to
Abraxas

IMO you will need to cut the pipe (it's actually quite soft) and rejoin it. You can buy a 2-piece CI coupling (Timesaver is the trade name IIRC) which has a neoprene gasket, or slightly less tidy the stainless steel sleeve type of coupling with a couple of Jubilee clips.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

This really sounds like "Pay Sombody Else To Do It" is the best option.

"A Mans Go To Know His Limitations"

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper