Buying glass.

I need some glass. Ordinary window stuff. Is there a formulae for the correct clearance? Or just 4mm off all round, etc? And what do the suppliers prefer? Mm, cm, mtrs?

I've not bought any window glass for many years and am rather curious.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

2-3mm all round IMHO. They prefer mm. If it's not "for a greenhouse" it will have to be 6mm glass for a window.
Reply to
Bob Mannix

I just bought some laminated for secondary glazing on a door and the recommendation was 3mm less all round. I would suggest going along with the actual size and the size of the rebates and ask for their recommendation.

I always use mm. I also check the glass before leaving because I've found some glass merchants to be a bit sloppy.

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

3mm clearance OK

MM is preferred.

Why 6mm?

4mm is the norm for windows where "Safety glass" is not required.

-- Mike

Reply to
C M Harding

I thought the standard was 4mm. All these Victorian houses, what is the original glass in those, 3mm? 4mm?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

More likely 3.175mm (approx) or 1/8".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Victorian/ large panes tend to be about 3mm, smaller panes can be 2mm. You may not be able to replace them with thicker glass because of the tiny rebates. Tiny rebates also means accurate fitting - allow no more than 3mm overall off the dead measurement, and check for squareness. Don't use sprigs except as temporary holdingg.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob

You may be right - it's certainly 6mm for a glazed 15-pane door for example, but I guess they may have tighter restrictions on doors than windows - The essence is the concept of a "critical location" and recent changes to the law on glazing. One of many advisory page for glass suppliers has some details:

have some large windows in a garage which are 4mm - naturally a football went through one (I have two sons). I had some diffculty getting a sheet of

6mm as it is not a "small pane" (about 1 metre square) but we agreed a garage was not a "critical location". Yes it was bloody heavy.

Replacment windows (ie where you change everything not just a broken pane) are even worse (depending on how you look at it) as they must be replaced by double glazed units of the current required U value. Recent changes to the law require this now on a window by window basis ("incremental").

Another one of many websites:

course, like the thread on extending a garage, you can always wing it at your own risk - the risk being less safe windows and the possibility of a surveyor picking up an illegal installation when you come to sell

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Out of interest, what sort of price is this?

We have a couple of panel that we would like to replace with glass (they look out into our porch which has a double glassed door) in order to make the hall way a little brighter.

300mm x 900mm ish I would guess. As they are at ground level and therefore liable to be kicked etc by the kids I assume something like laminated would be best (or even required). Is it expensive?

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Prior to metrification glass thickness was classified by its weight, in ounces per square foot. Victorian windows would have been glazed with 3oz or 4oz glass for small panes and maybe 6oz for larger panes. Or there was picture glass (about 2oz) or greenhouse glass (poorer quality of any thickness). Anything thicker than 6oz was plate glass and *extremely* expensive, which is why there used to be special plate glass insurance for shopfronts etc. Due to the old manufacturing processes the thickness varied slightly, which is why old glass is not optically perfect. The numbers in oz's roughly equate to the actual thickness in mm of modern float glass.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor

Laminated glass would be good. It's dearer than ordinary float glass of course, but not vastly. It is a *bastard* to get through (see

might want obscured glass for privacy.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

In article , jacob writes

Late Victorian panes 1m x 1.2m are 6mm in this neck of the woods (Glasgow).

Reply to
fred

Larger (1.5sqm) panes in my late Victorian (c1900) windows are 6mm/ 1/4"

Reply to
fred