Immersion heaters

It seems that the immersion heater has packed up in our rented flat, so I'll have to pop round there and sort it out.

Well, at least I think it has. Symptoms are only luke warm water available from the tank (water heating is electric only) - how should I test for a fault on the heater, or the thermostat?

Question is, are all immersion heaters the same size? It was a new one fitted when the flat was bought, about 7 years ago. If the heaters are a standard size then I can get one before going round to investigate, and probably a thermostat as well - local electrical warehouse are normally willing to take unused items back (I get a lot of stuff from them..)

Any pointers would be welcome.

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

it's odd that it's luke warm. Is this the residue of when the heater was working or that the mains is a bit warmer or that the cylinder has warmed itself from the room overnight? Hard to say I guess.

It could be the thermostat or the heater element or simply that fuse or breaker has gone. You will need a continuity tester to check which.

Generally the fitting is, but they can be different lengths for different cylinder sizes etc.

You'll need an immersion heater spanner as well - cheap enough, and of course some way to at least part drain the cylinder below the fitting

- using a hose and the drain c*ck at the bottom of the cylinder.

Undoing the heater can be a bastard, and you need to make sure that you don't buckle the cylinder.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

So I've heard, getting the thing to move with the tank still full of water is supposed to be better than (partially) empty. Use all the normal tricks like trying to tighten it a bit first etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Like all these things, I reckon shocking it free is the best bet - use one of those ring spanners and whack it with a hammer. Applying a steady large amount of torque is more likely to split the cylinder.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 16:51:34 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)" strung together this:

Ring spanners are crap, they'll bend with a heavy hand, never mind hammers. A decent box spanner is much better.

Reply to
Lurch

I'll take your word for it. My ring spanner is pretty old - dunno what they're like now.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I use a box spanner, with a pair of 3ft 6ins stillsons(sp?) for applying torque... I find that it is somewhat easier to persuade them to move with this arrangement, which is fine as long as you have a "feel" for what you are applying, force wise. I still had to warm an immersion up yesterday with a blowtorch, it had been fitted with mastic around the fibre washer, which had set hard and glued it in place.

The problem I see with the ring spanners, in this situation, is that it is difficult - if not impossible - to apply a torque to the heater without an associated linear force, which tends to cause the tank to buckle more readily...

Reply to
Will