Immersion heaters

Do the thermostats of immersion heaters get sticky. When we moved into our new home the hot water was far too hot. With time the situation seemed to improve, and yet now when I've finally got round to looking at it properly I find the thermostat is only set for 40 deg. The house had been empty for a month or two before we move in - would lack of usage cause it to not work properly and gradually sort itself out?

Keith

Reply to
Keith Dunbar

I've come across 2 or 3 immersion thermostats that are way out, but always in the direction of cutting out when the water is only lukewarm when set to reasonable temperature markings such as 60C.Maybe yours is the opposite?

Reply to
John Stumbles

Hi Keith As already posted I to have had a few cool stat's but also had 1 or 2 like yours getting to hot ,in 1 case the user left it as it "seemed OK" 2 weeks later the stat stuck and caused the tank to boil ,this is rare but for the few pounds it costs for a stat I would replace it.

HTH CJ

Reply to
cj

Stats can fail either way and drift either way. If its in the process of failing and you have a plastic header tank then you should replace the stat now.

NT

Reply to
meow2222