Advice on Wet/Dry Vacuum

I often have problems with a Numatic Henry vacuum cleaner when wet or damp debris weaken and perforate the paper filter bags. I see some cleaners described as Wet or Dry, but from the descriptions they appear to be dual purpose to work with paper filter bags to pick up dry solids or work with a float switch to pick up liquids. I can not see whether there is any filtering in that wet mode. Can someone advise on a suitable cleaner for collecting wet and damp solids such as garden debris of leaves and twigs.
Tony

Henry's big brother George is a true wet cleaner and shampoo machine as well as being a dry vac
For gardening applications http://www.gardenlines.co.uk/Default.asp/p/Product/1/GARDEN/2/GARDEN+MACHINERY/3/LEAF+BLOWER+VACUUM
Tony

Is appears that the George, in wet configuration, has no dust filtering whatever and that would be a problem.
Maybe something with a cyclone separator such as a Dyson canister would fit. Do you know whether those can cope with small quantities of liquids?

http://www.gardenlines.co.uk/Default.asp/p/Product/1/GARDEN/2/GARDEN+MACHINERY/3/LEAF+BLOWER+VACUUM
Those look fine for dry and damp solids but maybe not for very wet solids or liquids.
A different Tony

I have used my George for years in dry mode without dust bags and never had a problem
I have also cleaned up all sorts in wet mode similarly without a dust problem
As you are working out of doors why would a lack of dust filtration be an issue/
Dust filtration on domestic dry machines is not up to commercial standards anyway, which is why I use a Sebo for normal vacuuming in the house
Tony
I have a Wickes (there is an identical Earlex). In a recent thread several other people rated them. I use a Henry for finer dust, but the Wickes (without a bag) for coarser dry stuff, and for wet. The Wickes used to come with a simple foam filter but it's not very efficient. It's fine with a proper cartridge filter. I don't bother with a filter for wet use, you can use them but if you have been picking up cement or plaster or filler they will "set",

Thanks. I'll check out this Wickes/Earlex. The fact that one cartridge will filter solids and survive wetness sounds exactly what I'm seeking.
Tony

just try a cloth filter instead of paper.
NT
Newshound wrote:

In the same thread somebody gave a link to a universal filter (the cartridge one you mention, presumably), available from TLC
David

I have the Earlex, from some non-Wickes shed or other (probably Machine Mart).
As supplied, it's a "wet and dry" and very cheap, but they only supply a brown paper bag filter. To use it wet, or recommended for use anyway, you'll also need the upgraded washable foam filter. Sadly the cost of this, and a fat hose too, is about the same price as the bare cleaner. Still a good deal though - I've had several years out of it now, running long hours driving a workshop dust collection cyclone.
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 04:39:02 -0700, Andy Dingley wrote:

The wet & dry filter is corrugated material like a car air filter, not foam, and costs £10 (from Wickes, last time I bought one). I use the standard hose whic is OK though a wider one would be nice.
--
John Stumbles

Women always generalise
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:01:51 GMT, John Stumbles

Apparently there are both types: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/EXWDACC10.html http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/EXWDACC13.html
I've decided to go for a pleated one which comes with the appliance from Argos: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7111349.htm
Does the foam one fit around the pleated one or is it an alternative?
Tony

The foam one is meant to be used with a paper filter bag mounted over it.
I've been using the permanent wet/dry filter (the pleated one) for a while now and it works really well. If it gets clogged, I just wash it out and leave it to dry.
Steve
stevelup wrote:

Oh no it isn't :-)
At least not in my experience. They foam acts as a prefilter to keep dust away from the pleated one surely?
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Oh yes it is!
I dumped the foam one when I bought the pleated filter; I'm sure the box it came in would have made that clear (although I have to say I can't specifically remember.
Certainly the sucking performance went up dramatically when I fitted the pleated one.
David
On Jun 15, 5:24 pm, "The Medway Handyman"

Hi
Yes it is! You can't fit the foam one and the pleated one at the same time. The foam one is definitely not meant to be used without a paper bag over it.
The pleated one completely replaces the foam / paper combo - it's a tight fit over the motor housing and has a rubber seal at the top.
Steve
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:44:59 +0100, Anthony R. Gold wrote:

When I got my vac it had a brown paper bag filter for dry work and the foam filter for wet work. You used one or the other - or used neither but got the pleated wet/dry one instead.
--
John Stumbles

I forgot to take my amnesia medecine again
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:01:51 GMT, John Stumbles

They sell a pleated (not corrugated) paper filter, but that didn't convince me as to its usefulness when wet, so I bought the "heavy duty" foam one they offered instead -- about 16, AFAIR. I've washed it under the tap several times.
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 23:12:20 +0100, Andy Dingley wrote:

It's OK wet - I regularly wash mine out when it gets full of dust

The foam one that came with mine could no way be described as heavy duty - it tore when I tried to pull it off for about the second time! Sounds like you've got something better there: where did you get it?
--
John Stumbles

I forgot to take my amnesia medecine again

Thanks Tony. That's a useful data point. I guess the Charles is similar to the George but without the carpet shampoo device and I see Numatic does a version of that size with a transparent container (the WVT370-2) which looks interesting as with that unit I'll know a bag has burst earlier on.

It's for use inside a garage and also around a patio area.
The lack of filter must be punishing on the motor as I understand they pull the same air through the motor for ventilation and cooling - as well as it being not too good to breath.

Noted.
Another Tony
Anthony R. Gold wrote:

Damage to the filter is the least of your worries. A 'dry' vac like Henry has a direct cooled motor, so any moist air is blown over the (live) motor windings. Worst case scenario - large bang. Best case scenario - badly corroded motor.

Exactly, but they also have a by pass cooled motor - moist air is directed away from the motor, which has a sepatate cooling fan.

None, but in wet/damp conditions there isn't any dust, so no filter is needed.

A garden blower vac like this http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId 33376&tsa017&id014
A normal vac is completely the wrong tool for the job.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman