Buffing, Is there such a thing?

I am looking for an attachment that will go in my drill so I can buff my shoes to a high shine. I spend hours cleaning them and wanted to know if such a device exsists. Sort of like a sheepskin attachment or similar.

Any ideas, you clever folk on here ;) ???

Reply to
Millan

Why not buy the real thing: eBay item 290126191714 (shoe polishing machine)

Robert

Reply to
Robert Laws

9.99 hth

Reply to
Vass

I quite like polishing things. The way to get shoes shiney is to bull them, army style. The way to get paint and metal shiney is to buff them with a machine and compound. The difference is that paint and metal are a hell of a lot harder, whereas the shine on shoes comes from very soft wax in the polish. Any attempt to buff shoes with a machine are going to be pretty terrible - bear in mind that sheepskin is the most agressive polishing substance used on car paint.

Reply to
Doki

Whenj you say bull them how is this done?

Reply to
Millan

I doubt if it will, drills are too fast for a soft wax like shoe polish. I doubt very much if a powered brush if any better or faster for shoes than a couple of really good brushes and working by hand. Try a woodworker's supplier like Axminster, they have a good range of wax brushes.

Or of course, someone like Trumper

For a better shine, you need harder waxes than usual shoe polish. Kiwi do some (try mil-surplus shops), or make your own by adding up to 20% candelillla (not carnauba) wax to a polish mix.

For the _very_ best shine, you need to use the traditional army "spit and polish" technique. You have to use a mixture of two solvents: one polar and one non-polar ("watery" and "oily" if you like). The best of all is water and hexane with a hard wax, but that's too flamable to recommend as a safe idea (I only do it for weddings and funerals)

Or Lidl are selling cordless car polishers for 20 quid this week.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yellow duster wrapped around finger tip(s) Wet the duster by dabbing on tongue or by spitting on it Dab into (Kiwi) polish Spit onto leather Use small circular motions to combine spit and polish and spread over toe-caps flat areas and sole instep Continue for two to three hours Buff lightly with a soft cloth (Sylvette polishing cloth from a jeweller is good) Repeat nightly for about three months A little hard beeswax melted into the polish gives good results

An easier method might be Johnsons Kleer (?sp) (floor shiner) or egg white (Uncooked) on an already shiny surface

Reply to
JTM

whats the best way to deal with scuffs, where the original shiny surface has come off the leather?

NT

Reply to
meow2222