is there such a thing as a workshop membership?

this might sound like a really dumb question, but is there such things as a place where i can pay membership fees and use a whole bunch of tools? somewhat like a gym? around the NYC area? can i pay to use a high school's wood shop or something?

thank you

Reply to
Ah10201

Around here it's called Continuing Education.

You'll probably have to look in vocational/ trade schools as many high schools are shutting down their wood shops. Shame as my Mother took 3 or 4 classes at her local high school.

Reply to
Mark

See if there's a "Woodworkers Club" in your area. The Woodcraft intro:

Woodworkers Club is the nation's only chain of complete do-it-yourself woodworking shops, providing all the tools, supplies and know-how for Helping You Make Wood Work®.

If you would like to be able to build all the projects you want without investing in a workshop or a shop full of tools, click here.

Woodworkers Club page:

've been to the one in Rockville MD several times. It's well set up and has many members.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Mark Jerde responds:

Trouble is, there are only 4 of them, nationwide, all of them in the east.

The one in Parkersburg is well equipped and well run.

Charlie Self I don't approve of political jokes. I've seen too many of them get elected.

Charlie Self

There's a Woodworkers Club in Norwalk CT. on Rte 1. Appears to be well set up. I just wish the store carried the full line of Woodcraft Products in stock

Ken

do-it-yourself

Reply to
Ken Johnsen

Try a community college. Some have awesome shops with great instructors. And after you've taken some classes they let you take a "lab" class, so you can just work. John

Reply to
Quadindad2

There seem to be more and more co-ops poping up. Might be worth investigating. I know of a couple in the Toronto area, and heard of a few in NYC area.

Good luck.

Cheers,

aw

Reply to
A Dubya

Check around and see if there isn't a woodworking club in your community. An ad hoc type, not the Woodcraft corporate place. Most areas have one or more, and while they probably won't have a shop of their own (but they might), it's a great place to make friends and network. Sharing equipment, skills, materials, is usually encouraged.

It's like boats. The only thing better than owning a wide belt sander is having a friend who owns one.

--

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

The Craft Student's League on Lexington Ave. has a school. Plus the Long Island Woodworker's Club

We don't have shop space, but a lot of members. it's worth joining. Plus our show in April.

Reply to
DarylRos

I am currently taking a 10 session, 30 hour Woodworking 1" class from the local community college. IT's held at a local high school woodshop and they seem to have all the tools you get ever need.

There are some people that seem to take the class from time to time, whenever they have a new project.

Jim H

Reply to
Jim Helfer

Any wRECkers living in North Central Ohio are more than welcome to come by my house and use whatever tools I have.

The rules:

Don't do anything stupid

Bring the beer for afterwards

Any Questions?

-Phil Crow

Reply to
Phil Crow

do you provide all the materials too? If you do, I'll consider moving there.

dave

Phil Crow wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

What kinda beer?

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

> The Woodworkers Club is the nation's only chain of complete do-it-yourself

I can't seem to find any information on franchising. Do you have any idea if they sell franchises?

Reply to
TexasFireGuy