Two wall heaters, one thermostat, and only one working

We have two King Electric PAW 2422 (240V) in-wall heaters that have been installed in our media room for the past several years. When we moved it, I switched out the outdated wall thermostat with the King ESP230 digital thermostat. Everything worked fine for over a year and then one of the heaters refused to turn on. I'm getting power to the heater itself and have replaced this particular heater with a known working unit and, while they both work when installed elsewhere, will not work when installed in this one location. I replaced the digital thermostat today with another analog double pole just to make sure it wasn't the thermostat and it still doesn't work. Does anyone have any insight as to what else I may be able to try to get this heater working again?

Thanks!

-------------------------------------

Reply to
milburnfamily

RBM

You just think you're getting power to the unit. You are probably just reading voltage. Check the input with an incandescent lamp at least 40 watts. Don't be surprised if it doesn't glow. Then work your way back upstream and you will find the loose connection. Check for aluminum wiring (heaven forbid) and poorly installed wire nuts. good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

You just think you're getting power to the unit. You are probably just reading voltage. Check the input with an incandescent lamp at least 40 watts. Don't be surprised if it doesn't glow. Then work your way back upstream and you will find the loose connection. Check for aluminum wiring (heaven forbid) and poorly installed wire nuts. good luck.

Joe

I don't think I'd be recommending to an amateur to test 240 volt circuits with a pigtail lamp

Reply to
RBM

I second that warning... I see nothing good happening with a homeowner trying to test for 240volt power with a 120volt light bulb and some sort of homemade testing apparatus...

The OP should purchase a real voltage tester like a Knopp K60 to test this wiring...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan