warning: Daylight stupid time starts March 8th

[snip]

Maybe it would be easier to milk the cows at the same actual time each day, regardless of what the clock says. That doesn't change, so no resetting of cows needed.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I have one of those. The other units are connected to cable boxes.

Not a problem, when the WiRNS software sets the clock along with everything else. They do require reboots every week or so, which can be done from the computer.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

There was a column in the local paper, that said it was in response to candy manufacturers who wanted a longer Halloween.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I think that Hawaii does not change to DST because the sunsets and rises about the same time all year around.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

at 19 degree N latitude, it will vary somewhat anually, but less than something at 31 degrees N latitude (the southern US, for example) which will vary less than something at 43 N degrees (like Wisconsin), which varies less than Alaska.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

If you're a desk drone on a fixed clock...

If work is dependent upon the actual time of day, then the precise opposite is true-- it's the clock that is unimportant except when the two must interact.

When the townies close up shop in the middle of the afternoon, that's a problem when still need parts or other services.

And, noon is still noon regardless what the clock says.

Reply to
dpb

I am all streaming and OTA so the RTV doesn't have a lot of value.

Reply to
gfretwell

_______ You have that backwards: Shifting to DST, Philly would see solar/local noon about 1pm clock time, and Indy closer to 2pm. Align a sundial with local noon at your location during Standard time, and you'll see the dial reach noon one hour later - by the clock.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

_______

Re: "extra hour": I'm admittedly more knowledgeable about time than about quoting. That mention about preferring an "extra hour of evening light" was by someone else, possibly Bod, if you trace it.

Re: "Not a fan": Good to know that. But, for every two of us, there will be ten others who would prefer to be on advanced time year round, if possible, let alone during only Spring to Autumn.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

You're right, I wrote that backwards! Right in my head, wrong on the screen...thanks.

Reply to
Tom
[snip]

There should be 25 time zones on Earth. There are actually a few more since some places (none in the US or UK, but some in Canada and Australia) use offsets that are not multiples of an hour.

Then, these is the big thing, DST, which makes it hundreds.

BTW, if you think that 25 should be 24, maybe you forgot that the international date line is in the middle of a zone. +12 hours and -12 hours are different (they're even different days).

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I'm at 32.3 degrees N latitude. I can look at a graph of sunrise/sunset times for here. Natural variation (for one of these) is about 2 hours. DST makes sunrise vary about 1 hour by the clock, and sunset vary by about 3 hours (that is, if you consider one "improved", the other is made WORSE). Since there is a fixed amount of sunlight, there's no way to make both ends better.

BTW, This is the graph I used for debugging the sunrise/sunset code on my website.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

________ Welcome! Yet another reason clock changes should be abolished: Only one person in the whole country has even a half decent grasp on how it works...

Moi!