tongue and groove clean up old oak

have some 100 year old hard rock maple tongue and groove flooring that I need to clean up and refinish. What is the best way to clean up the dirt and grime that has fallen into the cracks and tongue and groove. I have already taken up the flooring but having trouble getting the right tool for clean up. Thank

-------------------------------------

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 365978 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
easttwinlake

... Wire wheel in hand drill or mounted on drill press w/ a fence. I've even used one in an old contractor saw in a pinch altho speed is a over ideal. Obviously, use eye protection, and other appropriate gear such as dust mask/respirator...

May have to customize one to get fully into the groove

--

Reply to
dpb

"easttwinlake" wrote

Did that once. I found the best thing was a round boar bristle brush dipped in a bucket with murphy soap and water. I didnt have a huge batch to deal with though, just one room of about 11x14 dimensions. Then, after fixing the sub flooring (reason we had to remove it), we put it back down and used a commercial grade floor sander (I had 4 other rooms that needed the floors completely sanded and restained then varnished).

It was a kitchen BTW. Back then, yes wood floors. Original house had a hand pump for water in the kitchen from a well. It had been capped off but left under the sink when more modern plumbing was brought in but leaked a little. Dufus last owner before us tried to 'insulate' by putting plywood up under the crawlspace then insuation above it which got soaked.

We resealed the hand pump line properly (just a matter of age of the joinings, not hard), reinstalled it over the sink as the area was somewhat prone to power and water outages due to storms, and it was pretty neat looking to see it there with a discrete modern set by it. Actually helped sell the house! Oh and we fixed the sub-floor situation properly.

Reply to
cshenk