Nylon Tear Repair ?

Hello,

Have a Nylon rain hood that goes over the top of my golf club bag to prevent rain from hitting the clubs. It has torn.

Is there a generally accepted really good product, perhaps, for repairing a tear in Nylon like this ? If so, brand please ?

Just curious, so will also ask now: are the two ends butted for the repair, or overlapped ?

And, is tape on the underside usually needed, or required ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

I used Gorilla glue to repair a tear in a nylon hunting boot. Boot, of course, has underlying structure and repair looks good after 3 years. In your case, I would use a backing nylon fabric strip. No glue is going to hold 2 cut ends of fabric.

Reply to
Frank

Too bad Billy Mays passed on....You could have told that to him about his "Mighty Mendit".

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

Maybe some kind of seam sealer tape would work?

I've never actually had the chance to apply seam tape before, so I'm not sure how decent it would look or hold up, but that's just the first thought that popped into my head. other than replacing the how sheet of fabric.

Reply to
ShadowTek

"Robert11" wrote in news:h4kpcn$73n$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

You could find one of those iron-on patches. I think they still make them. Just slide a piece, slightly larger than the rip inside the hood, and carefully iron the patch area. I have done this to repair a nylon ski jacket one time and it held up very well.

Larry

Reply to
GoHabsGo

Yeah. I used to laugh at these commercials when they he said it was not a glue. What is a flexible bonding agent anyway, if not a glue?

Actually, lots of things will work. I tend to use things in arsenal of stuff I have collected over the years. If you don't care what it looks like and there is no stress on the bag cover, you could probably get away with duct tape.

Lot of the TV products like Mighty Mendit eventually find their way to the dollar store. Probably could get something there now that would work. That's where I got my last bottle of wood glue.

Reply to
Frank

It snot glue?

As I learned a while ago, the technical name for that "snot glue" stretchy stuff that peels off most things pretty easily is "fugitive glue."

The part of May's commercial I found most far out was that "microscopic close up" showing the cleanly cut ends of individual threads of two pieces of fabric being butted together and joined by Mighty Mendit. Shoosh....

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

Later when I went down to check current price, I saw that too. Pure baloney. I could see a couple of other technical deceptions too. Stuff's probably OK for minor repairs in non-stressed areas but the one where the guy split his pants or a riveted jean pocket - give me a break ;)

Reply to
Frank

If all else fails, ask at a camping shop. I know they sell repair kits for tents, but never had reason to buy one.

Keith