Silver foil

I often refer to it as tin foil. Usually, though, I just say something like "We need foil; remind me to put it on the grocery list." It's obvious from context that I mean Al foil, not Sn foil, Au foil, or Ag foil.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

My youngest son runs marathons because he likes long-distance running and can raise sponsor donations to support charities while promoting public awareness of the work they do. His next one is the Boston marathon.

His most recent London marathon run (April) raised 4,000 pounds for Guide dogs for the Blind. Since then he's done a half-marathon, a one- mile inter-island open sea swim, a triathlon and a mountain night hike. He loves the physical and mental challenge; the side benefit is publicity and fundraising for charities.

Janet.

Reply to
Janet

I do running too, but not for charity. The people who sponsored your son would probably have donated to charity anyway. Why should the two be linked?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Ok, burying is maybe a bad idea, but hidden somewhere. I certainly wouldn't be giving my personal property for free to the government.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

It may seem absurd to you, but it is undeniably effective.

In fact, it's triply effective:

1) by publicising a charity event of a particular type (it might be a fun run, or a tiddlywinks competition, or a bungee jump, or whatever), you attract people who are already interested in that sort of activity, and they become de facto champions for your charity, at least for a short while. Without the event, that wouldn't have happened. 2) Those people approach their families, friends, and colleagues to seek sponsorship. It is entirely possible that those people might not even have heard of the charity and thus would not have given money to it even if they thought the cause worthwhile. But now they /will/ hear of it, and some of them /will/ give money. 3) You get press publicity both before and after the event.

Yes, in an ideal world we could do without the head-shaving or the pogo-stick jumping or whatever, and just give the money directly. But then, in an ideal world, we wouldn't need charities at all!

Reply to
Richard Heathfield

Not how I do things. If I hear of an event that sounds fun, I'll join in or spectate. Just because it's for charity won't make me more likely to go. I won't watch something uninteresting because it's for charity. And I won't donate to someone else's choice of charity just because they jump off a building. I donate the amount I want when I want to the charity I feel is most deserving. anyone who does otherwise isn't helping the people they feel are most needy.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Sounds flammable.

-- =

My daughter asked me for a pet spider for her birthday, so I went to our= local pet shop and they were =A370! Blow this, I thought, I can get one= cheaper off the web.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I think that's an overstatement, and what actually happened was that more iron was donated than could be processed. Since the propaganda value of the donation stories was worthwhile (and an admission that the steel and munitions industries couldn't keep up might have looked bad), no steps were taken to discourage the over-donation.

Reply to
grabber

So is celebrity endorsement as an advertising method, but that doesn't make it any less absurd.

Reply to
Max Demian

James Wilkinson Sword posted for all of us...

aluminum foil?

Reply to
Tekkie®

We have Tin Foil and Aluminum Foil. Both make great hats!

Maybe it is a UK slang thing.

On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 21:40:22 -0000, Tekkie=AE wrote= :

Aluminium.

-- =

You keep believing, I'll keep evolving

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Which is rather surprising, as silver is known to be antibiotic and is used in medical devices for that reason.

Reply to
Whiskers

Antibiotics aren't toxic to humans or doctors wouldn't give them to sick= people.

-- =

I remember your brother Jimmy, crying one summer's day, "Why do you cry, young Jimmy?" I heard your granddad say. "'Cause I can't do what the big boys do, that's why I cry," said Jim, "Move over then," said your granddad, and he sat down and cried with him= .

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

The 'broader ecosystems' suffer though.

Reply to
Whiskers

:

est.jpg

-- =

Bills travel through the mail at twice the speed of cheques.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

T posted for all of us...

I felt aluminum was more effective. Cut calls to the crazy line...

Reply to
Tekkie®

RH Draney posted for all of us...

Trademark

Reply to
Tekkie®

James Wilkinson Sword posted for all of us...

Not proper spelling in the good old USA!!!

Reply to
Tekkie®

On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 19:55:32 -0000, Tekkie=AE wrote= :

ote:

The lazy old USA. Can't be f***ed with that extra syllable, not nohow!

-- =

Can you grow birds by planting birdseed?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword