Silver foil

Never heard it called silver paper (in Scotland).

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

That would make a great title for a pop tune....r

Reply to
RH Draney

You must listen to considerably worse music than me.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Wed, 08 Nov 2017 19:55:55 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in

With a name like "Wilkinson Sword", I would think you only use stainless steel.

Reply to
CRNG

It's just a made up name. First thing I thought of.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Preferably not accompanied by a video.

Reply to
Peter Moylan

Silver paper to me was laminated aluminium and paper as in cigarette packages and around chocolate etc.

Reply to
FMurtz

AOL.

If people here want to refer to aluminium foil, they will call it silver foil or aluminium foil or tinfoil; never silver paper.

Reply to
Peter Moylan

That's coz you are a drug addict.

Reply to
Rod Speed

That's what my parents called it. (In Edinburgh)

Reply to
charles

round chocolate?

Reply to
charles

Brits don't use the term silver paper any more, younger generations have probably never heard of it.

In my childhood, adults and children commonly collected "silver paper" for charities such as Guide Dogs and Blue Peter appeals to sell and raise funds. "Silver paper" was the thin linings of cigarette packets, the foil tops from glass milk bottles, and the inner wrapper of sweets.

The aluminium "tin foil" used today to contain ready made meals, or sold in rolls for kitchen use, was unknown back then. Lunch sandwiches or raw meat were wrapped in paper or greaseproof paper (or both). We saved that too (for lighting the coal fires in domestic houses).

Janet.

Reply to
Janet

The chocolate bar next to me has seperate foil and paper, presumably to allow for easier recycling.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Or "cooking foil".

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Thu, 09 Nov 2017 01:10:50 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in

When I was a kid that first started shaving in the early 1960s, Wilkinson Sword (Brit Company) introduced stainless steel disposable razor blades into the U.S. market. They were a quantum leap in U.S. shaving technology at the time. Prior to SS blades, we had to use plain steel blades that had to be replaced every day or two. The SS blades would last a week.

Reply to
CRNG

Surely they'd make about 2 pence?

Apparently the primary school I went to, before my days, each child was to bring in one lump of coal each day in winter to heat it. By the time I went there, we had god-awful electric storage radiators, later upgraded to fan powered versions.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I've never understood why some blades blunt very quickly and others don't. For example kitchen scissors last forever. Electric razors last forever. The only time in several years I've replaced the blades on my Philips razor was when I went camping and got sand in it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

And mine -also in Edinburgh.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Yes, that's what I normally hear in Scotland aswell.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Wed, 08 Nov 2017 14:05:31 -0000, Uncle Monster w= rote:

a lot in the last century before aluminum foil took its place in most ap= plications.=E3=83=BD(=E3=83=85)=E3=83=8E

In the UK we use the purer version of that element, called aluminium.

-- =

James Wilkinson Sword