Silver foil

My god, you probably made enough to create a billionth of a plane.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

That's the chavvy version.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Thankyou for your intelligent input.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

James Wilkinson Sword

That really wasn't the point. People did this to contribute, in the only way available to them, to the "war effort". It made people feel they were doing their part.

It's like the little old lady who knitted socks for the soldiers "over there". Her sock output was minimal, but it gave her a feeling of contributing.

Reply to
Tony Cooper

Like people being "encouraged" to donate their iron railings. Apparently it wasn't any use for the war effort and all got thrown away. Unsightly sawn or burnt off railings were a common sight well into the sixties.

Reply to
Max Demian

One year Blue Peter wanted all the kids to send in unwanted keys for scrap metal. The postage (which their parents would have paid) must have far exceeded the value of the scrap metal. And I expect the family found that a lot of locks couldn't be opened when the wrong keys were sent in.

Reply to
Max Demian

That was done in the UK, and has been covered in this (alt.usage.english) newsgroup. String, flattened cans, and foil balls were saved and turned over for the "war effort" in the US, but I don't know if that was also done in the UK.

It is not my impression that the iron railings were voluntarily donated from what I've read in this group. Weren't they just taken?

Reply to
Tony Cooper

Hucker/troll/unemployable/piss poor/can't get a woman/sociopath will argue about this. Then he will jack off in his cat pissed stained ,lonely, spunk stained single bed. Trust me.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

There are still a few around.

Reply to
charles

I know this subject is difficult for someone like you who can't do basic maths, but there's no point making a contribution that's meaninglessly small. If a plane costs a million quid to make, and you collect 30p's worth of metal, you really haven't helped.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Anyone with any sense would have sawn them up then buried them until the war was over.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Sounds similar to

"Each pound raised for charity cost the NHS 13.75 Pounds in return. Parachuting for charity costs more money than it raises, carries a high risk of serious personal injury and places a significant burden on health resources."

Wanting to help a cause isn't enough, you need to do it properly or not at all.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Although I've read the expression (and not always been able to work out what was meant from context) I have never heard a living person use words 'tin foil' about any houselhold material.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

That's because you don't make houselhold from tin foil. You use tin foil to wrap the turkey at Christmas. Houselholds are made from brickls.

Reply to
Richard Heathfield

And welded them back, rusted though they were I suppose.

Reply to
Max Demian

The whole idea of charity sponsorship is absurd: if a charity is worth supporting, why make it a condition that a third party do something pointless?

Reply to
Max Demian

You must have with tin foil hats alone.

Reply to
Rod Speed

We all know the story of the three little pigs, and how they built their homes from straw, sticks and bricks respectively....

What few people know is that there was a fourth little pig who didn't make it into the story because the first three managed to dispose of the big bad wolf before he got round to bothering the youngest...and that pig, like his elder brothers, had his own ideas about what constitutes proper building material...but his house, suitably labeled, still stands today:

....r

Reply to
RH Draney

RH Draney wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news6.newsguy.com:

I have some insulation as part of the house - it is fancy bubble-wrap in silver foil format.

I expected a better jpig than that.

Reply to
Kerr-Mudd,John