Stain Sprayer Recommendation ?

I've got 120 feet of redwood fencing that I'd like to spray on an oil based, lightly pigmented stain. I've always used a brush to apply pigmented stains in the past, but I really dnn't want to spend days on this large fence.

I'm unfamiliar with paint sprayers, especially when used to apply pigmented stain. I know that nozzles can get clogged with bits of pigment.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Boris

  Rent an airless unit - maybe even from the store you buy your paint at - and filter your stain as you pour it in . They make conical strainer filters just for that purpose .   --   Snag
Reply to
Terry Coombs

It worked for me and the only hard part was cleaning it afterwards.

Reply to
redzap78

No personal experience with this product - but I've heard good reports.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

All paints and stains have pigment and sprayers are used to apply them. It's not the pigment that;s the potential problem, it's any foreign objects, lumps, etc, which new stain from the store should not have. I used BM solid stain on my house, didn't strain it, no clogs, no problems. Get an airless paint sprayer, I used a Milwaukee that I bought at HD for $200, worked great. The nozzles on the common spray guns can be flipped instantly, to push paint backwards to clear them. You can use the sprayer to get the paint on quickly, then back brush it to work it in. I would not rely on just spraying on wood like that.

Reply to
trader_4

replying to Boris, Iggy wrote: Sprayers are great, but they have to be cleaned out with Mineral Spirits, Xylene or Acetone. If the fence gets Sun, then make it A LOT easier on yourself and use a 3/8's Roller to put on One Time Wood Protector (

). One Time's not cheap and it does what it says, but everything else is cheap and the roller's cover just goes in the trash. Leftover One Time gets poured back into the jug for use every 7-years, if you want to maintain a new and fresh look.

Reply to
Iggy

Iggy wrote in news:TMLMB.53359$ snipped-for-privacy@fx16.am:

So, how did my post end up on homeownersclub?

Thanks for the reply.

Reply to
Boris

trader_4 wrote in news:57b5f2f2-c0f9-4f27-a0de- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

What is BM?

Reply to
Boris

replying to Boris, Iggy wrote: HomeOwnersHub transports certain home and garden newsgroups to the real internet as part of their service.

Reply to
Iggy

trader_4 wrote in news:57b5f2f2-c0f9-4f27-a0de- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I couldn't find any Milwaukee sprayers anywhere.

I did find a Graco for $219 at HD, but user questions asked if it could be used to spray stains. A Graco rep replied yes as long as you can clean up with water or 100% mineral spirits. A purchaser later replied that the instructions inside the box said not unless you buy a special tip for stains.

I used an oil based stain, that I like, the last time I did a smaller fence, rough cut redwood about 60 feet. I applied with a brush, and took off extra with a cloth. Took about 8 hours. This particular stain says that I can apply with a sprayer with a certain size orifice.

This was a few years ago, and it was very hot and sunny out. The cleanup rags actually spontaneously combusted in the flower bed. Yikes! I knew better, but...In the future, all rags were put in a closed container full of water.

Reply to
Boris

Boris wrote in news:XnsA827CA3CD3ABAnospamnospaminvalid@85.214.115.223:

This works without having to copy/paste. Sorry

Reply to
Boris

  It's HomeOwnersHub , and they steal from usenet and label it as their own original content . GardenBanter does the same over in Merry Olde England , and probably others too .   --   Snag
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Benjamin Moore

Reply to
trader_4

Makes sense, that's how you clean the sprayer.

A purchaser later replied that the

IDK of any "special" tips. They come in various sizes that are based on ori fice size and spray width. You choose the right one for the job.

Sounds like you were using a transparent stain. I used a solid stain on my house when I was spraying. Solid stain has the c onsistency of paint, transparent stain is thin, like water. That could effe ct what size tip you need. They typically give you a couple with the spraye r, getting the one you need helps, buying another one, they aren't cheap.

Took about 8 hours. This particular stain says

Bingo. Tips are sized with a 3 digit number. The first digit is half the s pray width in inches. The rest are the orifice size in thousandths of an i nch. So a 517 tip has a 10 inch width, .017" orifice. Why they used a numb er for half the width instead of the full width, who knows.

Wow, that's a new one. My grandfather almost had a fire in his garage year s ago. He had a 5 gallon glass water jug, full, sitting where the sun hit i t and was focused on some nearby rags. It got them smoldering.

Reply to
trader_4