Silver foil

Was silver foil ever made of silver, or does it just refer to the colour?
--
TV takes over your life when you could be doing useful things like smoking crack and stealing car stereos.

On 11/7/17 6:33 PM, Bob F wrote:

Tin foil?
Dean Hoffman wrote:

gold foil?
FMurtz wrote:

gold leaf, sold in sheets (?)
On 11/7/2017 8:13 PM, Bill wrote:

Makes you wonder if they have Google in the UK.

That's the chavvy version.
--
"The man who invented cats eyes got the idea when he saw a cat facing him in the middle of the road. If the cat had been facing the other way, he would have invented the pencil sharpener." - Ken Dodd.
/

Have to (reluctantly) agree with the OP here. The foil (often tissue backed aluminium?) in cigarette packets and chocolate bars was commonly known as silver foil by my parent's generation at least. I doubt it was ever anything but a description of the colour.
--

Roger Hayter

On 08/11/2017 11:07, Roger Hayter wrote:

We called it 'silver paper' but as you say it was just down to the colour.
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland

Absolutely right! I misremembered - silver paper it was.
--

Roger Hayter

On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 11:07:04 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@hayter.org (Roger Hayter) wrote:

I can remember separating the foil from the paper and rolling the foil into balls for the war effort (WWII). The foil-on-paper came from cigarette packages, and almost everyone smoked in those days.
A fingernail could start the separation and the foil could be easily stripped off the paper. You can't do that with the foil-on-paper now used.
Foil balls, flattened cans, and string were all saved until collected for the war effort.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

On Wed, 08 Nov 2017 08:44:07 -0500, Tony Cooper

That was before my time.
The single use that I remember for silver foil was to make a tiny rocket.
You would wrap the silver tightly around the head and top of a paper match, with a pin laid along one side of the match; withdraw the pin to leave an exhaust channel; balance the rocket somewhere; hold a lit match under the wrapped matchhead and watch it zip away when the wrapped match ignited.
That was probably safer as an outdoor sport. In my case, it was mainly worth doing to see if it worked.
--
Rich Ulrich

My god, you probably made enough to create a billionth of a plane.
--
To snip or not to snip that is the question,
Whether 'tis nobler for the index finger to cut the verbosity and gobbledegook of nutters

That really wasn't the point. People did this to contribute, in the only way available to them, to the "war effort". It made people feel they were doing their part.
It's like the little old lady who knitted socks for the soldiers "over there". Her sock output was minimal, but it gave her a feeling of contributing.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

On 09/11/2017 19:13, Tony Cooper wrote:

Like people being "encouraged" to donate their iron railings. Apparently it wasn't any use for the war effort and all got thrown away. Unsightly sawn or burnt off railings were a common sight well into the sixties.
--
Max Demian

That was done in the UK, and has been covered in this (alt.usage.english) newsgroup. String, flattened cans, and foil balls were saved and turned over for the "war effort" in the US, but I don't know if that was also done in the UK.
It is not my impression that the iron railings were voluntarily donated from what I've read in this group. Weren't they just taken?
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

There are still a few around.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Anyone with any sense would have sawn them up then buried them until the war was over.
--
A Jesus of mass J travelling at a speed of 27 meters/second collides with a stationary Moses of mass M.
Assuming any elastic deformation is lossless and perfectly reversible, calculate how long it will be until the next Passover.

And welded them back, rusted though they were I suppose.
--
Max Demian

Ok, burying is maybe a bad idea, but hidden somewhere. I certainly wouldn't be giving my personal property for free to the government.
--
"Politicians are interested in people. Not that this is always a virtue. Fleas are interested in dogs."

You wouldn't have been there to stop them. You'd have been called up.
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland