Recessed door knobs

Tie sizable brightly colored ribbon on the knob and let it hang to catch eye? Stick a sponge or cut a soft ball and put over knob for padding?

--

Reply to
dpb

I've got a little one who is just about at the right height to whack her head on a protruding door knob. There is nothing I can do to change the swing of the door to put the door knob inside the jam.

I thought there might be something like a recessed door opener latch or something like that but can't seem to find anything. Any ideas?? Thanks.

Reply to
Jack

Let her what her head against it, chances are she'll only do it once.

To deprive her of such an essential learning lesson is to expose her to a lot of danger later in life when you aren't around 24/7 to hold her hand.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Tennis ball, cut an X with a Muslim boarding pass, and pop over the knob.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Wrap her in bubble wrap...? While I understand your concern, it is silly to think you can prevent her from bumping in to things. A door knob won't do any more than make an ouchie. She's more likely to be injured by a friend, a toy, a sibling, your driveway, the steps, the kitchen table, you driving her around, etc., etc.

We learn by our mistakes and the sooner she learns to move carefully, the better. Don't worry so much. You grew up in a world that wasn't totally childproofed and you're none the worse for wear.

RicodJour

You mispelled your last name. It's Darwin?

I do agree, though. You can't protect against everything. When I was that age, I used to bang my head on the corner of Dad's table saw. He cut wine corks length wise, cut out about 1/4 and then taped them on the sharp corners. He also did the string, with a washer and some bright orange tape hanging down from the corner to catch my eye.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I would be inclined to do something very temporary, like sticking a wad of sponge on the knob. Get some bright colored nylon sponge cut wider than the knob, and just stick it on with temporary glue. Put a smiley on it to draw attention and she will either notice it more easily or bump something softer. If she runs around bumping into a lot of stuff, time to work on controlling her activity.

Reply to
norminn

Yep, and you bent down to grab the pretty thing, and whacked your head...repeatedly. Explains a lot. ;)

RicodJour

Oh, gosh. I've been outed! I'm a recovering table saw corner banger. That's back before recessed door knobs had been invented.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You need to be safe, get a Kiddy Bubble, keeps kids safe from all of lifes ills. You lock em in and open it in 15 years. Or just get a helmet, thats what they were designed for, doors, falling down, and falling pots and pans, and keeping your kids head out of the toilet, get a full face one they save the teeth and keep kids from getting an eyefull of knob. A door knob recessed in a kids eyesocket or mouth is an unpleasant site, been there done that. Dont forget shoulder, elbow, arm, and knee pads. Be safe.

Reply to
ransley

"Jack" wrote

LOL! This too shall pass ;-) Meantime, they make safety covers that are padded with an internal rubber grip (so they dont slip when you open the door).

I know what *we* did. We had 1 doorknob that was located where Charlotte would whack herself if she ran down the hall. We had those little inflatable arm things for beginning swimmers. We put one over it and blew it up nice and tight. Worked fine. Lasted the whole time too until she was old enough it wasnt needed.

BTW, you may want to do the same to the tub spigot at that age. They even sell cute ones just for that or can use the other swimmer arm blowup thingie.

Reply to
cshenk

"Jack" wrote

Heheh I'm a little suprised at some of the replies. I do not think it's a bad thing if you have a particular trouble spot to cover it for a bit.

To flesh out ours, it was a protruding *glass* knob right at eyeball height and on the hallway bathroom door. Other knobs matched it but were not in problematic locations. This was definately a case of better safe than sorry. Sure, we could have replaced that knob, but instead we just put something over it which made it both safer *if* she hit it, and more visible so she wouldnt.

Other things we did may seem insane to some here, made sense to *us*. Book cases (I have over 3,000 books) got bolted to the walls. I generally have

6-7ft tall ones filled to the brim. Charlotte was a climber and so were the cats. We bolted the wicker ones before Charlotte was born due to cats pulling them down (fortunately they were not harmed, just scared a little). When Charlotte hit crawling age, we bolted the rest. After she was walking, if she pulled books out on her head, it was more of a 'see Charlotte, that wasnt smart' but she couldnt pull a 100lb or so (adding books to the shelf weight) onto herself.
Reply to
cshenk

I agree- don't look for a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Kids that age grow like weeds- in 90 days it'll be a moot point, because the doorknob will be at eye level. (Ever watch a toddler who used to be able to walk under the kitchen table discover that doesn't work any more? Bang! What the heck?)

Dollar store or fabric/craft store will have multiple possible solutions. Slit a cheap ball, wrap with an old mouse pad and zip ties, a strip of carpet padding and a couple rubber bands, sew up a doorknob cozy out of quilting, whatever. As long as adults can turn the knob, it doesn't take much padding to eliminate the ouch factor.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

It used to be that, supposedly, whenever anyone had a black eye and didn't want to say where he got it it, he'd say he walked into a doorknob. It was meant to be obviously a made-up answer, because no one could get a black eye that way. I haven't heard this expression for decades.

But when I was 9 or 10, at my grandmother's house, I tripped just before I got to an interior door, fell into the doorknob and got a black eye. Since I was fallng, I probably hit it a lot harder than your kid would and I only got a black eye.

Reply to
mm

I have a problem with toddlers running into my knees. When the little tykes start zooming around with their little arms in the air like a crazed Orangutan, they will invariably run into one of my knees. BAM! they fall on their rump and start screaming, it rips my heart out that one of my little friends was hurt because of me. Perhaps I should get some thick pads to cover my legs when I'm around munchkins. The hockey goalie pads might work. Then there is that overhead smash to the groin that toddlers are famous for.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

:)

Reply to
Clot

You're a HVAC tech, right? Just wrap your legs in suction line foam wrap. Make an athletic cup out of an old furnace door, cut in triangle shape. Hold it on with a home made belt from some BX cable, and you're good to go.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sometimes I work on HVAC, last week it was phone systems and wireless networks for in store product scanners.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Wrap yourself in foam, tie it with bell wire, and solder on a couple brightly colored antennas. No problem. Now, you're safe from toddlers swinging arms.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I adore little kids, unfortunately there are a lot of filthy minded people who think the worst when I tell them that I love little kids. They're great with barbecue. and the toes are the crunchy part.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas