Re: Car repair newsgroup

Regarding this question today asking for "car repair" newsgroups on: o

Titled: o Car repair newsgroup

"I did a google search, but did not find a car repair newsgroup. Surely, there is one? I know newsgroups are added all the time, but a listing of all groups would be nice too. thanks, Andy"

The alt.home.repair ng also covers DIY auto repairs; but the trolls took over. o

Here's a recent thread, by way of example, on a.h.r for auto DIY questions: o Inspection and oil change

And another recent automotive (and home engine) related question: o Pure gas vs E85

But bear in mind, a.h.r. is almost unreadable due to the massive trolling. o Far better, IMHO, is a.h.r, where the trolls haven't infested it yet.

The best, IMHO, is: o

For example...

o Questions about mounting & balancing new LT tires on new steel rims at home (match mounting marks, red dots, yellow dots, & spacers)

o Ideas for a home alignment caster/camber wheel jig to lock to 14inch to 20 inch wheel rims

o Do you know of any good iOS or Android freeware apps that perform home alignment measurements & conversions?

o What 3D CAD freeware might work well for this simple DXF style drawing?

o Clare, Xeno.... did you ever have a batch of tires that just wouldn't seal after the final bead?

o How would you run a lateral acceleration test in a vehicle on twisty roads at no more than 40mph?

o Does the macadem road surface have a great effect on tire wear?

o Clare - are smaller car tires easier to balance than SUV tires?

o Just mounted & static balanced my 30th tire in about five years - saving over $400

o Two simple questions that came up when mounting tires at home

o What tools do I need? (P0420 Bank 1 catalytic inefficiency on a 15 year old dual-cat vehicle)

o Why can't people figure out warp versus runout versus disc thickness variation

Arlen Holder

Correction:

It's alt.home.repair that is utterly unreadable due to massive trolling. o

The rec.autos.tech is still reasonably free of the troll infestation. o

Arlen Holder

But, as is the case with much of usenet, rather sparse on *any* discussion.

Reply to
Xeno

As a Subaru owner I go to alt.autos.subaru which is troll free. It is true that usenet has gone downhill on rational discussions.

Reply to
Frank

Some of the non-usenet auto forums are still active and useful.

I haven't been there in a few years but there was a Ford Taurus forum that had huge searchable archive, plus active Q & A happening. < lost the link >

And I sometimes visit the Kia Forums :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Yes, I see there is a Kia ng but fairly inactive but forum is active.

Reply to
Frank

You mean it WAS relatively free of trolling 'till Arlen got there -

- -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I think Arlen should go on a date with snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (GG won't show me his entire identity--the guy who invests for his retirement in a savings account).