OT: Warning: Daylight Stupid Time starts Sunday 03/20/2019

My kids lived just west of Mexico Beach Fl right on the time zone from East to Central. It would take you an hour and 3 minutes to get home from the shop and rob but you got there 57 minutes before you left home.

Reply to
gfretwell

Today its more common to have casuals who get told when they have to be there and those who are told that are scheduled to have more of them there when more customers show up etc.

And it can be quite aggressive too. One of our supermarkets which opens at 7am only had a couple of staff there at opening time, one the manager who presumably opened up. And they didn't open the self checkouts until much later, usually around

9am, so they didn't have to have anyone supervising those who was mostly just standing their twiddling their thumbs waiting for anyone to use a self checkout.
Reply to
Rod Speed

Western side of the Mountain zone. Being about 5.5 degrees north of Hartford CT doesn't help either. Luckily it's not far enough north that the sun doesn't rise at all in the winter or never set in the summer.

Reply to
rbowman

At least they aren't roosters. The downy woodpecker comes in as a close second. They make noise as a territorial/mating thing and what is better to make noise than pecking on the tin shield running down a nearby power pole?

A recent study concluded woodpeckers suffer brain damage from their pecking but I think the are born that way. At least the flickers are amusing. It's the only bird I've seen that can manage to fall off a branch. No wonder they prefer feeding on the ground.

Reply to
rbowman

That would simplify things. Southern Idaho is Mountain and the panhandle is Pacific. I never can remember which is which.

Reply to
rbowman

I don't want to be on any damned British time. May would figure out some way to screw that pooch too.

Reply to
rbowman

rbowman wrote: " Western side of the Mountain zone. Being about 5.5 degrees north of Hartford CT doesn't help either. Luckily it's not far enough north that the sun doesn't rise at all in the winter or never set in the summer. "

Longitude affects earliness/lateness of sunrise/set more than does latitude. Latitude just affects LOD (length of daylight).

Ouch! 8:16 sunrise late December?? You sure you still want year-round DST? 9:18am sunrise just after New Years Day sounds ridiculous ANYWHERE in the lower 48 U.S.

Public schools first and part of second period in darkness. I would not like that one bit - whether I were a teacher or a student!

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Why don't the schools just adjust their schedule? As Mr Bowman points out, if you go far enough north the "day" is going to be shorter than the "school day" anyhow.

Reply to
gfretwell

Kids do better in school with a later start.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

True, but when you have about 8.5 hours of daylight one end or the other gets shortchanged. At the end of December it's just getting light when I go to work, and is dark when I leave. Now if I could save some of the almost 16 hours of daylight in June that would be real daylight savings.

I think it would get boring on the equator with 12 and 12 all the time. I can live with what I've got. It beats Bergen.

Reply to
rbowman

Having driven a school bus, trust me it's better in the morning when they are mostly comatose.

Reply to
rbowman

As usual, I agree with you. When you have the extra hour of light in the evening, it's much better because once the sun goes down early, you have 12+ hours of darkness to follow. When you have an extra hour of darkness in the AM, you know that in just an hour it will be light, you know the day is about to begin and you'll soon have ten hours of daylight. That hour of early darkness at the end of the day is very depressing.

I used to live on the eastern end of

Reply to
trader_4

There are apps for smart phones that do the same. I have Should I Answer on mine. It has a database of scammers, telemarketers, etc and blocks them. You can report new numbers, good or bad to the database so they are identified and added. Works well for me, but then I don't get many to begin with either. I do get maybe one or two a week that are my area code and exchange that ring through, never leave a message. I assume they are some kind of telemarketers or similar, spoofing.

Reply to
trader_4

And just the opposite for me. The idea of it getting dark at 4:30 sucks far worse. At 6 AM you know that in an hour it's going to be light, that's positive. At 5PM you know the day is over, it's going to be dark for the next 4 hours when you could still be doing things, be outside, etc. It's very depressing. And for most people, what are they doing at 6AM in the winter? Most are sleeping, maybe just getting up, having coffee. I don't know about you, but I can more easily do without light then rather than at 5M.

Reply to
trader_4

Quite amazing comment coming from the poster who a few posts ago suggested that businesses change work hours, retail stores change their hours, etc. Are you always this hypocritical?

I hope you realize you're the exception. Very few people would not care if it got dark at noon. And more people value it getting dark an hour later than value an earlier sunrise.

Reply to
trader_4

trader4 wrote: " I hope you realize you're the exception. Very few people would not care if it got dark at noon. And more people value it getting dark an hour later than value an earlier sunrise. "

I was just being facetious with that dark at noon comment earlier. My point is, if it's still dark at

7am in March or October, it just feels WEIRD. I have a harder time waking up in those cases, because my body knows darn well it's really 6am, and not whatever time the clocks indicate.

BTW I'm the exception on most matters, not just regarding standard vs saving time.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

When it's 5 pm and dark, the only thing I could be doing outside is snowblowing. Millions of us are in similar circumstances.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelicapaganelli

You really need to make up your mind. Do kids go to school so early that it is dark or are they "later"?

Reply to
gfretwell

gfre.. wrote: " You really need to make up your mind. Do kids go to school so early that it is dark or are they "later"? "

You really need to brush up on reading comprehension skills.

7am bell is earlier. 9am bell is (much) later.

How much of that 7am first period is spent in darkness depends on:

  1. Latitude north
  2. Longitude within the time zone
  3. If and when DST is being observed
  4. Is it December or January, or, is it May or June or September?

Best case: 7am bell, late May, mid-northern latitude, but longitudinally in eastern half of time zone, DST or STD time.

Even with east-facing windows, only those pupils seated with their elbows on the window sills will get any glare as the sun will be quite up by then.

Worst case: 7am bell, back from Christmas break, mid-northern latitude, but longitudinally in western half of time zone, DST year-round.

That sun'bitch ain't rising until halfway through 2nd PERIOD! School heating and lighting bills for AM periods will offset the benefit of any extended afternoon daylight.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

I don’t find it depressing, but I did find the extra hour after dinner in the evening handy before I retired. Handy to do small jobs around the house or take the dog for a long walk etc.

Reply to
Rod Speed