Tune-up and oil change

I read a post on a travel forum by someone who says that before he returns a rental car, he has a tune-up and an oil change done on it.
comments?
micky wrote:

What's a tune-up on a modern car? I think he's pulling your leg.
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 7 Mar 2019 02:30:05 -0500, Bill

He might be. I tend to believe things that others would be more suspicious of.
it was a travel thread asking where to wash the rental car, and maybe he was being sarcastic because generally there's no need to wash a rental car, since they do it as soon as they get it back. So he might have been saying, I don't just just wash it. I tune it and change the oil.
(This was one of Reagan's sly remarks. "No one ever washed a rental car". Because everyone knows that the rental company washes it. But people who rent for a couple months will wash their rental, despite what he said.)
On 03/08/2019 02:31 AM, micky wrote:

I faithfully wash the car every couple of years.

I never wash mine and on of the cops doing a breath test did smirk and say it was the dirtiest car in town.
I do lend it to anyone I know who asks and often offer it too and almost all of them wash it before they return it. Likely too ashamed to drive it dirty.

When YOU havr to work on it, I presume??? Nothing worse than working on/under a filthy vehicle.
On 03/08/2019 08:07 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

Yes there is. Your inlaws let you use their heated garage to replace a broken spring and the last three months worth of ice starts to thaw out.

Try repairing the apron chain on a shit-spreader in February - - -

.. did you remember to un-hitch the team first ? :-)
John T.
On Sat, 09 Mar 2019 15:50:01 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Dragged it in behind the 550 Oliver after backing it into the carwash and hosing off as much as I could. Didn't make much difference when I hit it with the "blue-tipped wrench" to get it apart and the rest started to melt - - - - -
On 3/9/19 4:38 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

My first thought was oldie. Tractor Data says 550s were made all the way to 1975. The last real Oliver was the 2255, last made in 1976. Olivers were never that popular in central Nebraska. Deeres and IHCs were the most popular. I want to say Fords were next but I don't know for sure. There were some ACs around. Combines were Deere, IHC, and Gleaners.
On Sat, 9 Mar 2019 20:56:40 -0600, Dean Hoffman

I worked for the cockshutt / white dealer at the time and we has a used 550 as a yard tractor (along with an old Norseman and a JD with a boom on it) Around here Cockshutt and JD were the big movers, followed by Massey, case,IH and AC.Also a smattering of Ford.
Had a lot to do with who the dealers were.
Combine-wise White/cockshutt was number one with massey , gleaner, and JD tagging along. Klaas started eating white's lunch when a good dealer started pushing them locally as well.
Things soon changed when the local Massey dealer closed down,Case and International joined, Ford got out of the buisiness becoming NewHolland, and all kinds of other changes came in - liike masseys being built in Japan, Kubota taking a big bite out of the small tractor market, etc.

Ours was an Avery - just like the 10th - 11th photos here :
http://bfavery.com/wp/2018-summer-show/
... except for the clean & shiny :-)
John T.
On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 07:58:11 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Became part of MM in 1951 and then White Farm Equipment in 1963 and Agco in 1991 No Avery designed tractors were ever sold with the MM name to my knowlege. The Avery tractors were all 40HP or less -.
I believe a few Avery tractors were sold in Canada by George White and Sons (manufacturer of threshing equipment) of London Ontario - no corporate relation to the later White Motors (both of which at one time produced steam engines) and White Farm Equipment

We always called it <incorrectly a White Avery. probably had the George White sticker - shown as a close-up on some photos in the Avery web site. It was late 1940s. 4 cyl gas. 3 speed. My older brothers rigged a rear-mount cultivator from a chopped-up old wheeled unit - to work from the center-hydraulics. And a front-mount snow plow - made from an old galvanized water heater tank - cut in half lenghtwise, then re-joined end-to-end - again worked from the center hydraulics. John T.
Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

You are just a country boy at heart.
--
Tekkie

You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy
On 03/09/2019 12:50 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

Probably better than August...

In August the carwash would have taken it all off - - - - or at least enough that it wouldn't have dripped on me when it "melted"

Just another fool that doesn't have a clue.
There is no tune up involved with current model cars and all but the rent a wreck operations use current model cars.

Too radical by far.