Tune-up and oil change

Dragged it in behind the 550 Oliver after backing it into the carwash and hosing off as much as I could. Didn't make much difference when I hit it with the "blue-tipped wrench" to get it apart and the rest started to melt - - - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Probably better than August...

Reply to
rbowman

In August the carwash would have taken it all off - - - - or at least enough that it wouldn't have dripped on me when it "melted"

Reply to
Clare Snyder

My first thought was oldie. Tractor Data says 550s were made all the way to

1975. The last real Oliver was the 2255, last made in 1976. Olivers were never that popular in central Nebraska. Deeres and IHCs were the most popular. I want to say Fords were next but I don't know for sure. There were some ACs around. Combines were Deere, IHC, and Gleaners.
Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I worked for the cockshutt / white dealer at the time and we has a used 550 as a yard tractor (along with an old Norseman and a JD with a boom on it) Around here Cockshutt and JD were the big movers, followed by Massey, case,IH and AC.Also a smattering of Ford.

Had a lot to do with who the dealers were.

Combine-wise White/cockshutt was number one with massey , gleaner, and JD tagging along. Klaas started eating white's lunch when a good dealer started pushing them locally as well.

Things soon changed when the local Massey dealer closed down,Case and International joined, Ford got out of the buisiness becoming NewHolland, and all kinds of other changes came in - liike masseys being built in Japan, Kubota taking a big bite out of the small tractor market, etc.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

It's been a long time since I soujourned in law school, and I wasn't a good student and didn't graduate, so I forget what this reminds me of. And I don't know how to phrase what follows without it looking like this example, rather than the place which I forget but where I'm sure it applied 45 years ago.

But in some cases, in the USA, violating a rule, including one they have every right to insist on, would not have all the negative consequences they promise unless there was a cause and effect relationship. For example clause 1, you let an unauthorized driver drive. but later you're driving when you have an accident. Violating "1" didn't cause the damage. So why should you lose your insurance?

OTOH, if you're violating 7 recklessly while the accident happens, it's a good chance you're being reckless was a major, or even minor, cause of the accident,.

I'm not even in the US so I'm in no position to fight their refusal to pay, even if I had a case. I can't imagine this has not been tested in the USA however since there are so many rentals, etc.

Just think how they treat the non-preferred customers!

Reply to
micky

Insurance companies write contracts filled with language designed to f*ck their customers.  For example, you buy $500,000 coverage on your house and $250,000 on contents.  Couple months later a tornado rips through your house and totally destroys it.  You'd think that they'd cut you a check for $750,000, right?

Nope, they send out a trained liar that starts depreciating the value of everything you lost.  At the end of the day, you get a check for say $600,000.

WTF?  You were paying for $750,000 of coverage, why did they chisel you down to $600,000?  If they only pay $600,000 for total loss, why were they charging you premiums for $750,000 coverage? Now obviously in this case it would benefit the homeowner to hire an attorney to recover the other $150,000 from the insurance company but in many cases it's not worth it.

Reply to
devnull

Ours was an Avery - just like the 10th - 11th photos here :

... except for the clean & shiny :-)

John T.

Reply to
hubops

And on the other side are many shyster homeowners who have an old couch and think it's still worth the $3000 they paid for it 20 years ago. And so it goes.....

Reply to
trader_4

Its more complicated than that. If they didn’t do that, some would deliberately insure for more than its worth to make a profit in a total loss situation.

See above.

Because it isnt feasible to send someone around to your place to work out what they would pay in a total loss situation, every time someone buys a new policy.

And they wont necessarily get the $150K anyway.

And it works the other way too. If say you only insure that place for $400K and it isnt a total loss, you will in fact only get 2/3 of your actual loss, because you under insured.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Some of ours have new for old forever policys which pay for a replacement with a new one regardless of how old it is. Of course they arent the cheapest insurers of houses and contents but it is what most actually want in a total loss situation.

I was a bit tempted to put a sign on my big patio door that is my front door saying I would be away for 4 weeks but decided that if that did see the place looted everything so I could buy a whole new set of toys, that someone might well tell the insurance assessor that I had done that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Became part of MM in 1951 and then White Farm Equipment in 1963 and Agco in 1991 No Avery designed tractors were ever sold with the MM name to my knowlege. The Avery tractors were all 40HP or less -.

I believe a few Avery tractors were sold in Canada by George White and Sons (manufacturer of threshing equipment) of London Ontario - no corporate relation to the later White Motors (both of which at one time produced steam engines) and White Farm Equipment

Reply to
Clare Snyder

We always called it <incorrectly a White Avery. probably had the George White sticker - shown as a close-up on some photos in the Avery web site. It was late 1940s. 4 cyl gas. 3 speed. My older brothers rigged a rear-mount cultivator from a chopped-up old wheeled unit - to work from the center-hydraulics. And a front-mount snow plow - made from an old galvanized water heater tank - cut in half lenghtwise, then re-joined end-to-end - again worked from the center hydraulics. John T.

Reply to
hubops

devnull