OT: Warning: Daylight Stupid Time starts Sunday 03/20/2019

Daylight Stupid Time starts again Sunday 03/20/2019

Make sure you don't kill anyone driving sleep deprived

I don't know why people complain about DST. I've been saving daylight every summer of my life and now have a tidy backlog to use. It was very handy a few days this past winter. While you were in the dark, I just made a withdrawal from my daylight savings and no eye strain.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"..[Sen.] Rubio’s Sunshine Protection Act of 2019, to be introduced Wednesday, would make Daylight Saving Time year-round. A companion bill was filed in the House by U.S. Rep. Vern Buchanan, R-Longboat Key."

Florida has plenty of sunshine. Longboat Key is sunny with tropical trade winds.

We don't need to change time at GITMO!

Reply to
Oren

One way or the other, or even 1/2 way in between, I don't care. Just stop jerking us around.

A) It what "stupid" universe is 3/20/2019 a Sunday ?

B) In the USA DST starts on 3/10/2019 (aka this weekend)

Anonymous

I hope they block it. I want standard time year-round.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelicapaganelli

In the one where 1 and 2 are adjacent on the keyboard and it's easy to make a simple typographical error. Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelicapaganelli

I don't care, pick one or something in between.

[snip]

Of course there's no real difference between "standard time year-round" and "daylight time year-round". There IS a little difference between either and our current system. Nothing to do with the amount of daylight, but a little more confusion around the adjustments.

Reply to
Sam E

Affects people differently. I like the light in the evening, others drive to work/school in the dark. I used to live on the eastern end of the time zone but since moved south and west so I get the extra daylight anyway. I used to drive to work in the dark for a long time too, but retired, my ass is not out of bed until 8 so it does not matter to me.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I hear that, retired 17 years ago. Stopped wearing a watch. My body tells me when and when not to do something ;)

I hate clocks and ringing phones.

Reply to
Oren

I have stopped many of the ringing phones. Using the cable phone system , they have a data base and if the robo callers are in it, the phone will ring once and quit. I can add numbers if I want to. If the caller ID shows a number I do not know, it goes to the answering machine.

I set my clock today for the first time today in 6 months. Some people were comming by at 8:00 to pick me up to go off and I wanted to ge up and hit the shower before they go here.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Yes, there is a difference. I hate going to bed in the summer when it's still light out.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelicapaganelli

Employers might have something to say about that.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelicapaganelli

Got me thinking about shift workers. In the spring the graveyard shift will only work 7 hours but in the fall it would be 9 hours for them. Wonder if they would demand overtime pay in the fall?

Reply to
invalid unparseable
[snip]

How about staying up later, rather than have everyone mess with the clocks.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I usually do that. And most times it's a junk caller and leaves no message. It looks like they have no confidence in hat they're selling, and know that if you have a chance to think about it you'll say no.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

It could be the employers who wanted to change the start times.

Reply to
gfretwell

The worst day of the year for me was the first monday in the fall after the time change because I was driving home in the dark. I changed to 0000-0830 so I was always driving home in the sunshine and I worked that for 11 years.

Reply to
gfretwell

You work your 8 hours just like everyone else. The payroll system is smart enough to figure that out.

Reply to
gfretwell