Doorbell chime

I had a doorbell with a digital chime . I replaced the doorbell with a SimpliSafe video Doorbell . The new doorbell was not chiming the full tune unless the doorbell switch is kept pressed. I researched online and found that a diode across the doorbell switch terminal is to be provided to get the full tune in one push of the switch. I checked the old doorbell switch and there was indeed a diode (IN400. I took out the diode from the old door bell and fitted across the new doorbell switch. The new doorbell switch now does not chime at all. I removed the switch and just connect the terminal with a wire across the diode. Still no chiming. I did the whole thing reversing the terminal of the diode without any result. I took out the diode , and fitted the new doorbell again, and it works as before , i.e chime only a part when the switch is kept pressed. I talked with SimpliSafe. They told the doorbell is not compatible with digital doorbell. Any suggestion about how to make the doorbell work properly, i.e to play the full tune with one push of the doorbell switch.
On 3/8/2019 3:44 PM, Swapad wrote:

Change the doorbell to one that is compatible. Sure, you can get the existing one to work with a couple of relays. diodes, or whatever, but it can be a PITA.
Alternative: Keep the old button, add the new button, then put a sign, please push both buttons.

get a dpst relay. Operate the relay with the switch. Diode across one set of contacts for the bell, not across the contacts for the video.
Really a simple installation
On 3/8/19 2:44 PM, Swapad wrote:

Some sort of a time delay to mimic the switch being held in.
On 3/8/19 6:09 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Maybe something like this? <https://www.alliedelec.com/product/rs-pro/1026128/71188369/
On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 18:14:51 -0600, Dean Hoffman

Major overkill where a simple double contact relay will do the job

A properly designed digital chime should only need only the bell press to trigger the playing of the entire tune, with maybe a switch to specify that you want that action, or to only play while the button is actually pressed.
On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 2:44:07 PM UTC-6, Swapad wrote:

that

full

re

ot

ire

ed

en

bell

the

l-chime-1187493-.htm
Did you check the wiring dia. Many of your older door bells were wired in s eries so in that case when you let off of the button you remove the power f rom the door bell and it stops. Newer ones need the power wired to the door bell 24/7 , the switch is then wired straight to the door bell .
On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 2:44:07 PM UTC-6, Swapad wrote:

One more thing check if the new one requires DC or AC power . If DC then the diode may work.