OT: uneven cooking in microwaves

Heated in a checkerboard pattern.

I can't remember detail=

When I put it in my mouth there were alternating parts that were warmer and colder.

Yes, one would think a rotating carousel would get rid of all that, but it didn't.

Reply to
micky

"Rod Speed" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Reply to
John

It probably was round, there was plenty of room in that cabinet for it. Also, from what I heard a lot of the space is for the high-voltage transformer.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Those old TVs had a lot of empty space in there but a lot of it was just because they ran pretty hot and they wanted breathing room. By the mid 70s it was just a CRT and a card so you had a big empty box, simply to hold the CRT.

Reply to
gfretwell
[snip]

I found an old electronics magazine that had an article about building a "macrowave oven" that would cool food electronically. It used a superconducting device called a "krystron" that works best in a vat of liguid nitrogen.

Although my device used negative entropy.

***

Before class one day, a student had the idea that light doesn't really exist but is an illusion caused by the lack of darkness. This led to the invention of the DED (dark emitting diode). Somehow I don't expect a DED flashdark to recharge its batteries.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Talk to the molecules in the food and threaten them with dire consequences if they don't calm down :-)

(written while remembering some much more serious nonsense)

Reply to
Sam E
[snip]

I've heard about those. With a fuse in each plug, so the higher capacity is safe.

I needed one of those "double male" cords once (for the purpose of running a hardwired appliance from a generator). I was so careful that it was actually saver than normal operation.

I've gotten so used to a DVR that when I miss something, I'll often look for the "replay" button on the car radio.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

My microwave has the controls on the right as usual, but it is still just a little too tall to fit under the kitchen cabinets.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

It is EM radiation, which is neither. It is the food itself that creates heat when exposed.

Reply to
Sam E
[snip]

You've previously waited 5 minutes. Now you wait 5 minutes before you wait 5 minutes, and you've doubled your waiting time.

Reply to
Sam E

That is a "radio"? I vaguely remember something like that from the last century but I didn't know people still have them in their car. My MP3 players always had a "back" button, even when they were socket 7 PCs in the trunk (in the late 90s)

Reply to
gfretwell

There is a photo of the chassis on the site. My uncle had a radio and tv shop so we usually had some old clunker.

This was my prize that I crouched over in the cellar listening to foreign broadcasts on the SW bands

There was a lot of empty space but it came from an era where the radio was an important piece of furniture and the focus of attention in the living room. And the TV lamp, gotta have the illuminated panther;

rbowman

Yip, we did away with individual circuits a long long time ago. It's unbelievable you still have unfused plugs. Clearly a table lamp will use a thinner wire than a heater, so it has to have a smaller fuse. So either you plug it into a different outlet (very inconvenient), or it's not properly protected.

Explain.

That reminds me - I have a two minute memory of everything I've heard. I'm quite surprised when I meet someone who doesn't. They seriously can't spool back and listen to what was said a minute ago.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Anaximander would approve.

Reply to
rbowman

It's those damn dipoles; they are gender fluid or something.

Reply to
rbowman

About the only broadcast TV I watch is some of the PBS programming. I find myself looking for the pause button when I need to take a leak.

Reply to
rbowman

Or to be more precise, dipole molecules attempting to orient themselves to the rapidly changing field.

Reply to
rbowman

You can do that with live TV if you are watching with a PVR.

Reply to
Max Demian

There can be a number of reasons.

The one most often mentioned is the lack of a turn table or some kind of deflector to spread the ‘pattern’ evenly in the food.

Certainly these are valid but I doubt any but the cheapest ovens lack either a turn table or some simple deflector system these days.

If the food, especially meat, has areas of fat they will heat differently to lean areas as the fat has a dipole structure and that is more responsive to the effect of the EM radiation. It is a myth it is only water which is heated, a number of dipole structures in food respond to EM radiation, including water, fat, and sugars (or compounds made of sugars). If the food was frozen, as it defrosts, once once part is defrosted it will heat more quickly than a still frozen part.

The local hot spots can help the overall cooking process, which is partly why rest time is sometimes recommended.

I don’t especially like cooking with a microwave. No real reason. I certainly don’t think they are dangerous etc. I use one to heat milk for coffee, defrost things sometimes, initially cook baked potatoes before crisping in the oven (we have a combi microwave / fan oven ), plus it makes good porridge.

Reply to
Brian Reay

That is true about EM radiation. To even out the heating you have to allow convection to take place as outer surfaces absorb faster. A defrost cycle calls for long times at low settings, otherwise you cook the outer part and leave the center frozen.

EM is not that different from conductive heating where you put item on hot surface. Outer part heats faster.

Reply to
invalid unparseable