OT: uneven cooking in microwaves

I learned that was better with 12" tvs, because they would fit on smaller tables, and when you were sitting on the floor, the screen was an inch or two higher so the table wasn't in the way.

WRT MW, since, you're right come to think of it, maybe it's because something about the wave generator works better from the side???? Like the diifference between playing skee-ball from where you're supposed to stand versus from above the target??

Reply to
micky

It does not matter what you want it is the laws of physics and thermodynamics.

If you don't want to wait, fine with me, but you get a more evenly heated product if you wait for the molecules to settle down and move heat evenly. Soup? No waiting, just give it a stir. Big lump of frozen mashed potatoes? You really can't rush and do it right.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You're an adult. Plan ahead.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

micky presented the following explanation :

Many believe you cannot leave a spoon or fork in the food being microwaved - you can proving there is only one item and it cannot contact the oven's metal cavity as it rotates.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

You'd find the same putting something frozen into a conventional oven. It just takes time for temperatures to even out.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

It may just be that they don't advertise what size turkey fits in them anymore. A microwaved turkey was shit and it didn't take long to figure that out. Maybe before 90% of America even had a microwave. I was an early adopter in those days.

Reply to
gfretwell

When I was working nights in Endicott I heated up TV dinners in a foil tray, because that was all they sold in those days Just be sure it is centered on the tray and ignore the sparks ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

But it shouldn't. There's no reason for it to if the whole thing is perfectly -20C all through from being in a freezer for a long time.

But it doesn't go faster and faster. All of it has to go through the same change of state, and all of it has to heat by x degrees. So even if it's slightly out, you'll get some bits 10C warmer than others. That amount would be cancelled by conduction.

So a pathetic workaround. I always defrost on full power then manually stir if I have to. Defrost mode takes f****ng ages!

Anything other than a microwave takes a while to get warmed up beforehand.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

But it does. The thawed part absorbs more microwaves than the frozen part so it gets hot faster.

Reply to
gfretwell

Tesco sell a microwave for £30, it has a carousel.

How did you see this checkerboard? Do you mean a food which would change colour when cooked more?

Indeed, you'd think the pattern would consist of concentric circles.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

A minute ain't long enough for a lot of things. It can be 5 minutes cooking and 5 minutes standing. I could do it in a pan in 10 minutes, so I've achieved nothing.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Impossible. I get hungry, I want to eat. Your body doesn't say "I will be hungry in 45 minutes". It's not like a car fuel guage where you get advanced and precise warning.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Why would that be a problem? And my most annoying example is a lump of frozen salad, twice the size of your fist. With a turntable microwave, 5 minutes on full power almost boils some of it, an leaves other bits frozen.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

dramatic evidence of this, put a frozen block of food about twice the size of your fist into the microwave. Heat on full power for 5 minutes. You'll find some parts of the food too hot to touch, and some still frozen. So some bits are being heated many times moreso than others. Presumably one part rotating through a circle is still unheated due to that entire circle being at a node of the standing waves. There must be a way round this. If the microwaves were the thing rotating instead of the food, which I think newer ones do, there could be a non-circular rotation to make things more random perhaps? Or lots of reflectors to make the waves go all over the food.

My guess is that it takes less heat to melt the outside, because it is not surrounded by ice, and then because salty water is a much better conductor than ice the outside absorbs the microwaves faster. Positiive feedback to increase the unevenness. The only solution is to use low power (a defrost setting??) to allow more time for conduction and if the food is not monolithic then rearrange it on the plate every few minutes. I think this is an insurmountable physical problem.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I meant they all rotate something. It may be the waves it may be the food.

If you were to place what I did into your microwave, a 2xfist-sized lump of frozen salad, then put it on full power, would it cook evenly?

The dimensions are roughly 15x15x6cm. Lumps of frozen food were found in it about an inch cubed, while the rest was hot.

If it is a case of depth, can we not use different wavelengths to penetrate further? Something that isn't absorbed so easily, so some gets in deeper first?

What is the depth of er.... penetration for say a piece of ice?

And what is the way round it?

I'm actually currently using what looks fairly decent, given to me when a relative passed away. It's a Kenwood SJSB21A.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

So what we actually need is a microwave which can make a time warp inside it.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

My brother's micrwave had a metal rack, so one could put things at two levels, and the rack was just about identical wrt size and everything to another rack he had that wasn't made for a microwave.

He mixed the two up, and when he ran the thing, it melted the plastic bracket that held up one corner of the rack, and it blew the internal fuse.

Reply to
micky

Well you can repeal the laws of thermodynamics. Microwave penetrate the food about a half inch. The inside cooking is strictly conduction.

As you point out, lower power settings allow the heat to move to the center, as does waiting time.

Composition of the food makes a difference too. Pockets of fat or sugar will heat faster than dry areas. Cutting a large piece to a few smaller pieces helps. Some people just put something in, push the button and expect it to be perfectly heated in seconds. With a little care and know how you can do amazing things in a MW.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Roger Hayter explained :

Microwaves entering food, follow the inverse square law of penetration. No matter what you or the microwave manufacturer does - The outside of surface will receive much more energy than the inside. The thicker the food, the more reliance there is on conduction of heat. Which is why liquids are so much more easily microwaved, because convection comes into play.

For solids they need to be allowed time to work, so most ovens have a defrost system. For semi solids, you can manually stir them.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

If there is a dead spot in the middle of the oven, the turntable wouldn't help. Maybe decent ovens are designed to ensure that the middle is an average microwave strength.

Reply to
Max Demian