Microwaves.

I have just been cleaning my microwave and noticed that its getting quite rusty. The rust is both in the corners ( been there a while) and now on the door but its not in holes anywhere.

Is there a point at which a microwave becomes unsafe because of this? Or can I use it until it blows up?

The microwave is about 20/21 years old. It still functions (as in heats, defrosts etc) and doesn't appear have any problems.

Anyone know if I should have a new one on my Christmas wish list whilst my Fairy Godmother is with me at the moment?

Reply to
mich

A rusty microwave should fail a PAT test, if the tester has a clue what they're doing (which is extremely rare).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

getting quite

this?

I would think that although it seems to work ok at that age there is a high risk of it leaking microwaves.............you would need to test it to be sure and even if it does leak just don't stand anywhere near it while it is working!

It has had a good life methinks, maybe it is time to retire it. You will be amazed how much more powerful new microwaves are, and it will probably cost you less than you paid for your first one even though it's 20 years on!

Angela

Reply to
Angela

This is a domestic appliance and I dont have anything tested I dont spend money willy nilly! So no PAT test. Besides what does that say really?

I dont believe in wasting money. I "retired" my 20 year old freezer recently because it wasnt working ( stopped altogether) and the council told me I had not right to do so! They said I was polluting the environment because that one now needed to be disposed of. Whilst it was true I was ( CFC's were used twenty five years ago), they made me feel as if I was simply discarding it to get a newer model because I fancied a new one!

So suggesting I should retire an item that works is quite a frightening prospect in the light of the councils view of waste not want not, make and mend and not filling up land fill or amenity tips with my discards unless I can truely justify it!

Following that experience I am quite afraid to retire anything until its well and truely "dead" ( ie blows up and smoke comes out!)

Reply to
mich

You are quite right about the comparative cost. I recall my microwave was state of the art when I got it and cost about 150 quid. Now a similar spec would cost about £40 in the local supermarket.

Reply to
mich

Biggest problem is (potential) microwave leakage. Replaced mine late last year because it was getting old; didn't want to risk slow-frying something vital!

Reply to
Martin

Hi

If it were mine I'd clean the rust out and check it. Give it a gentle thump to make sure theres still good solid metal there. If a hole appears, its bin time. Small holes dont let microwaves out, the door is full of holes, but of course you want to bin it before it becomes undsfe not after, so once it holes, I'd ditch it.

Rust in microwaves is common, and they work fine for many years after rust appears. Could well still have a decade in it.

That's just what I do anyway.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Why ? (specifically)

I'd use a 20 year old microwave, but I'd leakage test it first.

Andy Dingley

We had a similar problem with a Sharp microwave after quite a short timeframe - so did my sister (we bought them both at the same time) - it just didn`t vent steam efficiently (at all ?)

We bought a replacement Panasonic, and my missus almost wet herself laughing when I tried to set the time and it refused, the display scrolling "please read the manual" ;-)

We`ve been most impressed with it overall and have been happy to recommend them to others.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

In article , Andy Dingley writes

Second that, in fact the microwave leakage standards in this country are quite lax. In fact at that age I'd dump it and get a new one!....

Reply to
tony sayer

We aren't talking about a PAT test but a microwave leakage test. That is, is the 500+W of RF energy staying inside the metal box or getting out to cook anything within range?

As yours is showing signs of rust in the corners it might be starting to leak. What condition is the door seal in? Thats generally the weakest part.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Oh don't worry. It will just fry the pet cats testicles when it sleeps on top.

Leaky radiation etc.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Risk of leaking microwaves.

PAT doesn't require actually testing for microwave leakage, but requires checking for likely leakage routes like rust, dropped/bent or otherwise damaged casing, missing screws, faulty door seals or hinges, faulty door catch microwave lockout.

I think a microwave leakage test is expected to be performed following any repair/servicing on a microwave.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I havent had one of those either. Bottom line , nothing in my house is tested. It either works , in which case its part of the furniture , or it doesnt, in which case it goes out.

The door seal is actually very good. In fact its in generally good condition because I have looked after it. ( I am one of those horrible people who also always looked after my toys as a kid and still has them in the boxes looking almost pristine!)

I was messing with the rust last night and on closer examination it doesnt seem to be particularly deep. Just a bit pitted I am thinking of doing as another poster has suggested and clean it up and then see.

I simply dont like the idea of throwing something out because its got old.

Reply to
mich

Any chance that you have been *too* enthusiastic about keeping the microwave pristine?

I have a suspicion that some of the kitchen cleaners sold these days are a little too aggressive and their residues may cause damage, including rust. This was after an incident we had where our kitchen radiator suddenly went rusty (and leaked) all along the bottom seam. I think it was due to the particular floor cleaner that we were using at the time, being accidentally sloshed up onto the radiator..... first stripping the paint and then attacking the bare steel.

Reply to
Tony Williams

I havent really used a lot of kitchen cleaners on it. I have a habit of sticking to simple things like soapy water . I did have a ceramic hob and microwave cleaner several years ago but dodnt like it and ( oops) its still in the kitchen cupboard nearly full! The rust if anything is a result of years of dampness in the box ( from steam off the food as it cooked or from water I put in there to boil and loosen the dirt particles( done as per the original manual)

But I agree in general with your comment about cleaners.

Reply to
mich

I assume you leave the door open a little once you've finished with it? That should help reduce the dampness hanging around too long.

Velvet

Reply to
Velvet

Sounds like your brain might be microwaved!

Don't suppose you happen to have a leaky microwave in your house.....?

Fairly simple test, if you have a Tmobile or Orange phone, or a "3" phone (Vodafone/Cellnet are too low-frequency to be a reasonably fair test).

Call your mobile from your house phone. Answer call. Put mobile in microwave. Close door. DO NOT TURN ON MICROWAVE. See if your mobile can hold the call. If it can, then its RF energy is getting out of the microwave, and it is only a 1 watt transmitter.

So what are those 500 Watts or more of microwave energy from the oven doing to you when you use it?

Reply to
R W

The fact that microwaves don't punch through holes smaller than a wavelength

ought to be significant, as someome alse pointed out

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh so everyone here (except me) has all their electrical appliances tested for safety by a certificated electrical installeer every year do they?

What a goody two shoes bunch you all are ( and got lots of dosh too - no doubt as a result of all the cash you save doing it yourselves in other areas )

I have cellnet , sorry.

Reply to
mich