Microwaves.

No, it was an attempt at humour!

And there's no such word as certificated!

Well you could try it anyway....

Reply to
R W
[26 lines snipped]

entries found for certificated. cer·tif·i·cate ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sr-tf-kt) n.

  1. A document testifying to the truth of something: a certificate of birth. 2. A document issued to a person completing a course of study not leading to a diploma. 3. A document certifying that a person may officially practice in certain professions. 4. A document certifying ownership.

tr.v. cer·tif·i·cat·ed, cer·tif·i·cat·ing, cer·tif·i·cates (-kt)

To furnish with, testify to, or authorize by a certificate.

[Middle English certificat, from Old French, from Medieval Latin certifictum, something certified, from neuter of Late Latin certifictus, past participle of certificre, to certify. See certify.]
Reply to
Huge

Reminded me of the reply when we asked our service manager how to test for microwave leakage "lick your forefinger, run it slowly around the seal with the microwave operating on full power, observe your finger. If it has changed from pink to black and smoking then there's a leak". Oh for the pre-nanny state days when advice like this was the norm and expected to be acted upon. Regards, Richard.

Reply to
Frisket

Well , if you would rather be certified, with the implied loss of mental faculties thats OK by me! The word certificated does exist btw. - transatlantic import.

Reply to
mich

I am correctificated (I thought certificated was a bush-ism)

Reply to
R W

Some people do, yes.

It's a condition of residence in the home where my father lives that everything is PAT tested. It's only £3.50 per item with a £35 minimum call-out fee (+VAT).

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Hi.

I guess microwave technology is not really a DIY subject.

Angela:

myth. They were fine by 1983. If it were 1970s that would be different.

myth. They just changed the rating system.

Dave:

Myth. Microwaves haven't used door seals for over 20 years.

Mich:

me neither. It doesn't make any sense to me to buy something, then throw it away for no senible reason and give away your money again, over and over. People who do that are true suckers.

Andrew Gabriel:

I dont agree, a PAT tester who does that is being careless. If theres rust you need to check its sound and solid, thats all.

Ask an electronics newsgroup about electronics, and a DIY group about DIY.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Hmm...battery, led and sensitive FET should show up any leakage ;) ( I have a "volt stick" thingy that is really sensitive to MW leakage) Or possibly of those silly "flashing" things that flash when you receive a mobile call? :-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee Blaver

What's the metal bit in the door with the castellated edge for then? Or do you mean the rubber bit..and why do the destructions always tell you to keep the rubber bit clean to "prevent microwave leakage"?

Just askin :-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee Blaver

OK, badly phrased. "What is the seal of the door like?" A bent/dented door or cavity opening face will leak or one with lots of general microwave detritus stuck on it preventing the door from closing fully (but still latching to overcome the interlock(s)).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I dont know what you're referring to there.

there shouldn't be a rubber bit, those went out of use long ago.

They say keep the area clean to ensure the door can close properly (not the rubber bit), but I would question how much of a real issue that is. I think its more a case of covering all possibly conceivable bases rather than a real world problem.

If your zapper has a rubber seal, and instructions telling you to clean the rubber bit, it may be so old that it predates modern safe microwave oven design practices. 70s cookers often relied on rubber seals to stop leakage, and have an inadequate safety interlock system. I even came aross one where you could pull the door partway open as it was cooking - and it carried on cooking regardless.

From: Dave Liquorice ( snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com) >>> What condition is the door seal in? Thats generally the

It is possible, but it would take a heck of a lot of abuse to do that, real violence. And usually the interlock then wouldn't work. But its always possible, true nuff.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

It's part of the structure or the internal cavity in the door, the castellations seem to be wavelength multiples. I was assuming this was a microwave seal, or at least heavy attenuation.

That's why I asked if you meant the old rubber seal type :)

Sorry, typo, I meant to say plastic bit :), but point taken unless the castellated edge does perform the function of a seal. I don't know whether it does, thats why I'm asking...

snip

Lee

Reply to
Lee Blaver

The microwaves are about 4" long: are you sure theyre multiples of that?

The plastic trim is more cosmetic and for cleanliness and appearance.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

N. Thornton wrote: Snip

I didn't realise the wavelength was that long, not that I'd bothered to work it out though :)

I've just done some Googling, and it turns out that this design is a "quater wave slot" or "choke" type of door seal. Oh well, at least I learned something anyway :)

Lee

Reply to
Lee Blaver

Wavelength in metres, is 300 divided by the frequency in MHz so,

300/2450 = 0.122448979 metres, around 122 millimetres!....
Reply to
tony sayer

Saves on the VAT bill getting it muted

Reply to